Monday, February 28, 2011

An MRI, PT Assessment and Preschool

To say we have been a little busy would be a bit of an understatement. The good thing about being busy I suppose, is that I haven't had too much time to dwell on the fact that in less than 2 days we will once again be back at the hospital, putting Abby under general anesthesia, for what will hopefully be an uneventful MRI. Then its just a short long, excrutiatingly painful and anxiety filled 6 days until we see the neurologist for the results. She had her pre-anesthesia physical today and appears to be healthy with the exception of some fluid in her right ear, which is either lingering from the last ear infection or the beginning of yet another. Luckily it's not a show stopper though. At two-and-a-half years old she weighs 34 pounds and is 36 inches tall.  Lately it's been really hard to get her to eat. Not sure what's up with that but I guess since she's well above the 90th percentile for her weight, all is good right now. On a whim two days ago I decided to convert her crib to a toddler bed.  She's slept through the night and napped both days since, so maybe she was ready for it, or maybe it's the calm before the storm...time will tell.  Today Brian and I visited what we think is our first choice on the list for preschools. We are going to try to take Abby back on Thursday during classtime to spend some time in the class and see how she does in their environment.  If it works out well, registration is next week and hopefully there will be a spot for her. Tomorrow she has her PT evaluation with her new therapists. We really like the place we found and are anxious to get her started.  I have no idea what to expect as far as how much therapy will be needed and how many days per week or month we will be going, but it's just a matter of time before those questions are answered. As for Lilly, well, she's 14 months old and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a wee bit concerned about the fact that she isn't walking yet. She takes a couple of steps here and there, and every once in a while gets 7 or 8 steps without dropping to her knees, so we know she can do it, and I am hoping soon she will want to do it.  She has her developmental assessment next week and it should shed a lot of light on what we need to work on with her. She's as cute as can be though and oh my goodness, she's like a human garbage disposal.  The kid will eat anything and everything. She's quite the chunk, but I love it.
As usual Brian is working as much as he can, eventhough OT in the LAFD is hard to come by these days. I even worked 3 days last week which I am paying dearly for now. Being away for 10 hours for 3 days out of 4 was a little much for me, and the girls.  All I know is that I am really looking forward to getting these next two busy and stressful weeks behind us so we can get back to normal, whatever that is. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be praying for Abby during her "under" time and hoping for a clean scan. As far as eating...she is full blown toddler now almost at that preschool cusp and well lets just say that the doctor told me not to worry about the eating...that they use a lot of calories but that to obsess about when they eat and when they wont will just make me go crazy. They have a great ability to burn and not burn those calories. So basically don't worry about that. She's bigger than my 3 year old by just a tab. Lilly not walking....she's only 14months...is that adjusted? Campbell did not start walking until 15 months...maybe 15.5 I'll have to go and look. But I remember thinking am I going to be carrying two babies....I really stressed over this. But look back and see when Abby started to really walk. Do you have one of these. These really pushed my kids to walk. http://www.radioflyer.com/wagons/classic-walker-wagon.html
I also used a upside down clothes basket.
Preschool....tell me more off line. Such an exciting time.....
HUGS to you my friend.

Kelly said...

Whew! That is a lot going on all at once!

Good luck with the MRI. Abby is a trooper and will do great! I'm hoping for a great report from the doctor!

Lilly will take off soon. Is she a little jabber box? Maybe she was focused on her language and now she'll focus on the gross motor skills.

Anonymous said...

All the best for Abby's MRI - I pray it will all be clear.

As for Lilly - please don't be too concerned. Give her time. My 34 weeker only walked at 15 months and my 33 weeker only walked at 17 1/2 months. She will do it when she is ready :).

Heather said...

Well I hope I can put your mind at ease about Lilly walking/not walking... Ava was at least 14 months (so was Alec, actually) when she started and it was quite a while before she preferred it to... walking on her knees. (She was not a preemie... born two days past due date) It was strange (ask my sisters LOL), and just when I about had my hand on the phone for evaluation she started walking. I agree about encouraging her to use a walker, too. But of course, bring it up to the doctor since you'll be there...(oh, and I'm not a doctor) I think up to 18 months is considered "typical" for walking and it sounds like she's well on her way. Also, good luck with Abby and the MRI and preschool too, will keep her and all of you in our prayers! Lots going on for you!

Beth said...

Will keep Abby in our prayers during her MRI and pray for a clean MRI, as well. Also, I don't think you should worry about Lilly not fully walking yet. Braydon was 14 months 4 days when he took his first steps. 14 months is actually the average age of when kids start walking. One of my nieces actually didn't walk until she was almost 2; she just had no desire to try or lean:) Hoping these next two weeks fly by for you!

Machelle said...

Abby will do great and the scan will come back clean!!! I pray everything goes well.

Gosh, I can not get my girls past the 30 lb mark! They are about the same height as your Abby but 28.5 lbs. I think I need to feed them more! LoL!

Good luck, everything will go fine, and she will do great!

Missy said...

I have four kids - first one, textbook baby, walked right at 12 months. The others were all 15-17 months old. Yes, 17 months old. One was a preemie but the others had no excuse. And I want to mention that I was always in my 3rd trimester with the next kid, lugging my big belly AND my big baby up the stairs. Fun times.

It's really not a big deal. If she is taking some steps, then she'll walk when she's good and ready.

Mine all had huge heads - which makes walking a lot harder. Hard to balance with a melon on top ;)

Missy said...

PS I have heard that kids go back and forth between focusing on motor skills and cognitive skills. So, like, if she is having a little language explosion, the walking will take a back seat.