Well, here I am! I finally did it! I started our family blog...this after being on bedrest for 9 weeks and doing absolutely nothing productive. Although I don't know if you can call this productive, but I guess it beats watching re-runs of "A Baby Story" on TLC over and over again.
So since this is my first post, bear with me because I have a lot to say to get you caught up. You may already know our story, but here's the long and (not so) short of it, and the reason I have been on bedrest for 9 weeks...
Well, the short of it is...we are pregnant! And not just pregnant, but expecting identical twin girls! We are over the moon excited about it, after battling infertility and enduring 2 cycles of IVF in a matter of 4 months. Lucky for us (and our savings account) the 2nd time was a charm.
From the beginning, this pregnancy has been nerve-wracking (to say the least). From tests showing we weren't pregnant, to tests showing maybe we were, back to no we weren't (this went on for more than 2 weeks) we finally proved the doubtful doctors wrong with an ultrasound. On March 24th, at 6 weeks and 6 days pregnant, we were officially declared pregnant. Right there on the ultrasound monitor were 2 beautiful and strong little heartbeats! The most perfect little blobs I had ever seen. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...so I did both.
We cruised along for a few weeks with minimal stress, having weekly ultrasounds with our infertility specialist and seeing our little blobs getting bigger and more recognizable as humans... until WHAMMO!, our first complication...April 19, 2008, at 10 weeks and 4 days pregnant. Off we rushed to the ER because of bleeding. Luckily the babies were fine, but I was put on bedrest diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma (a fancy word for a blood clot). At that point all the experts were saying we had a 50% chance of miscarriage...but we knew from the beginning that our little girls were fighters.
So onward and upward for a few weeks...babies kept growing, I kept watching too much of "A Baby Story" (and playing too many video games). Around 13 weeks the doc called to tell me I had a bladder infection and I was anemic. No big deal...a few antibiotics and an iron supplement will clear that stuff right up. So our week 14 ultrasound came and the babies still were doing great. The blood clot was shrinking, but still there so I continued on bedrest. Our next appointment was scheduled for May 28 with the perinatologist. It was then that our world started to turn upside down.
It was at this appointment, our 16 week ultrasound, that we were told we had the beginning signs of Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. I had read a little about it, but didn't think it could happen to us. TTTS is a horrible disease of the placenta whereby the babies share uneven blood flows, and if left untreated, comes with a 95% fetal mortality rate. It basically kills otherwise perfectly healthy little babies in utero. I immediately went home and got on the internet, where I was able to learn more about this disease at tttsfoundation.org. A couple of days later I got in touch with a doctor in Milwaukee who invented a surgery that can, in many cases, cure the disease. But, we had to wait until the babies were sick enough to qualify for the surgery (otherwise the risks outweigh the benefits).
So we waited and waited and waited. Hours seemed like days. Days seemed like weeks. At our next appointment, 17 weeks, the condition was worsening. It was suggested that we consult with a surgeon about our options. And our peri happened to know of an excellent fetal surgeon at USC (I hope this doesn't mean I will actually have to be a fan of the Trojans now). I should point out that there are only about 15 doctors in the country that perform the procedure we may need.
I came home from the doctor that day...beside myself with worry and crying inconsolably. Brian rushed home from work to find me on the sofa, crying about the TTTS and doubled over with pain in my right side that seemed to be getting progressively worse. After about an hour, we took our second trip to the ER. The pain was horrible. I mean really bad. Crying hysterically, can't remember the ride to the hospital kind of pain. Just to add to the fun, it turns out I was passing a kidney stone. And by the way...it's not something I recommend. If you've ever had kidney stones, you know what I'm talking about.
At exactly 18 weeks pregnant, we went to our 2nd appointment with the USC doc. The condition had worsened and we now qualified for the surgery. The babies were still ok, except Baby A's bladder had collapsed and her amniotic fluid level was so low she was basically "shrink-wrapped" in her sac, unable to move...her little arm stuck above her head. The doctor's success rates gave us a 93% chance of bringing home 1 baby and a 73% chance of bringing home both. Although risky, it was a no-brainer. We scheduled the surgery for the next day...June 10th.
At 5:30am on June 10th, I was admitted to Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital. I was wheeled into the operating room at 7:30am. They gave me my happy juice (and happy I became)...then some heavy sedation and a local anesthetic, and the surgery got under way at about 8:15. Most of these surgeries take about 30-40 minutes. Mine took a little over 2 hours. If I remember correctly the clock said 10:32 when they were done. Apparently, and for various reasons, including bad amniotic fluid (which they had to drain and replace) and a velamentous cord placement on Baby B, my surgery was the "most complicated case I've ever seen" (so the miracle doctor says). Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging, but for those of you who know me, you know I tend to make everything more difficult than it needs to be...so really, this was not a surprise to us. We were told that the next 24 hours were critical. We would have an ultrasound the next morning to see if the babies survived the surgery. Tuesday night in the hospital was rough. I was having contractions so they put me on magnesium sulfate. That stuff didn't agree with me at all, but I made it through the night with Brian by my side every step of the way. At about 9:30 Wednesday morning I was taken for an ultrasound. We were told it would take a couple of weeks to see any improvement in Baby A's bladder and amniotic fluid levels. The miracle doctor began the scan. The silence in the room was deafening. With his first sigh of relief he said "one heartbeat"...and with a HUGE second sigh of relief he literally shouted "two heartbeats!" And to make the news even better, little Baby A's bladder was already visible and her fluid levels were already starting to improve. Our little girl was peeing again...making her parents proud. We were released from the hospital and went home so I could sleep off the horrible hangover I had from all of the meds.
Ok...I just realized how long I've been "talking". I'm almost done, I promise. And thanks for sticking with me...if you're still here.
So, we made our first post-surgery appointment with our perinatologist. Tuesday June 17th at 11:30. I also had a previously scheduled appointment with my OB at 9:30 that day. The level of stress and anxiety we had going into these appointments is pretty much indescribable. I mean, we made it past the first 24 hour hurdle, but the next 4 weeks are critical as well, as it takes about that long for the babies to recover from the surgery. We went to the OB, who used a doppler to hear the heartbeats. He had a bit of a hard time finding two, and left us with "I think there's 2 heartbeats." Not the most reassuring news, but we will have an ultrasound in 2 hours to confirm. The weather here was beautiful, and since I had been on house arrest for so long, in between appointments, we picked up a Happy Meal and parked at the beach and enjoyed our lunch and the ocean breeze before going to the peri.
Finally, 11:30 came and off we went to the peri. They told us it would be a long appointment so that they could do a growth and anatomy scan. Whatever...just show me 2 heartbeats! So the ultrasound began and there they were...our 2 beautiful babies with 2 strong heartbeats! Baby A's fluid increased enough that she can move, and I think she was even kicking her sister! The scan continued and we learned of 2 perfect brains, 2 perfect hearts, 4 kidneys, 2 bladders and what we think we have counted as 20 fingers and 20 toes! Nothing but good news. I cried. If I didn't know better I would say Brian was choking back a tear or two himself (although he'd probably kill me if he knew I told you that). The doctors hugged us and congratulated us. It was a beautiful day and the first appointment since the beginning that we actually got nothing but good news.
So here we are. It's June 20th. Brian is working today. It's about 85 degrees down here at the beach. I'm sitting in bed with "A Baby Story" on the TV (an episode I've actually never seen before). Mom is stopping by to feed me some lunch in a little bit. Our next appointment is scheduled for Monday June 23rd where we will hopefully learn that the babies are still doing great. I don't know how they couldn't be. They've proved to be such fighters. I'm still waiting to feel their little kicks. I think I probably have already, but I keep convincing myself that everything I feel is just gas. Yes, I embarrassingly admit that I have gas. All the time. Poor Brian.
Well, I guess that's all for today. Certainly I have "talked" long enough. I wonder if any of you who started to read are actually still here or not??? Oh, I forgot to mention...the surgery...it was filmed for a Discovery documentary and possibly a motion picture. We had to sign our lives away that we wouldn't ask for any money or anything, but maybe someday my little uterus and our unborn daughters will make it to the big screen. Who knew!!! Well, whatever they do with the footage...we felt if it could help just one person who has to deal with a heartbreaking diagnosis of TTTS, then surely we would consent.
Ok, I am almost done now. I promise. We know we have lots of people praying for us and our little girls and we know those prayers are what's keeping them fighting. So thank you for all the love and support. I will update our blog regularly and certainly on Monday after our appointment.
And one last thing I should mention. In future posts I will likely no longer refer to the girls as Baby A and Baby B. We have finally decided on names. They are officially Madison Marie and Abigail Renee.
18 comments:
God is SO good!!!! As always I am praying for you, brian and the the girls (Madison & Abigail...will it be Maddy & Abby for short?) Think of you often and wish we were closer so I could bring you dinner and the likes. But for now calls, emails and posts to your blogs will have to do. Glad you created the blog!!! Much love from me and my family. bff, ml
Hi Stacie and Bri:
This family blog is terrific. You did a wonderful job putting it together and getting everyone up to speed on our little "miracle girls". We have forwarded it to family and friends and asked them to continue to pray for these little granddaughters of ours.
Love, Grandpa and Grandma
Hi Stacie!
We are so happy to see you have a "blog" so we can keep up to date on you and your girls! Know that we are thinking of you everyday and you all are in our prayers... We will check in often! So happy for you and your recent good news!
Sending you love and prayers,
Hope, Justin and Ella
www.loveofourlives.blogspot.com
Hi! So thrilled that you have a blog! What a wild ride is right - we are praying for you every day and have been since we found out you were expecting.
Hope and I are saving tons of baby clothes for you, especially matching outfits, that Ava and Ella have outgrown! (Don't know if you'll be into matching them, lol, but we sure have been and they aren't even twins!!)
So glad to have your updates!
Lots of love from the east coast!!
Love, Heather, Jason & the A-Team
momof4as.blogspot.com
(Blogger won't let me sign in for some reason)
Yay Heather and Hope! So great to hear from you. I just went and checked out your blogs, which of course are already saved in my favs so I can check back regularly. Your kids are beautiful, and yes...I plan to be all over the matchy-match clothes (poor girls). With identical twins, how can you not?!?!
Hi Corntassel Family...
The prayers will not cease! Madison and Abigail have always been and will always be fighters! Thank you for creating this blog. I read every word of it! :)
I hope to stop by on my way home from work soon and bring you dinner - let me know when you are feeling up to it.
We are always thinking of you...
Erin and Nicholas Jasper
I am so glad you started this blog. I read every word! Now I can keep up with you and your miracle girls. Wish I was closer so I could stop in. Madison and Abigail - beautiful names. Are they named after anyone? Much love and prayers! - Stacey (aka Maggot :) ) (Don't laugh too hard!)
To all three of my little girls! And of course to my great son-in-law! I could not be more proud of my Stacie and of my little grand babies. Keep up the terrific work girls - as Hannah Banana says - girls rule! I love the pictures and I know we are truly spoiled because we get to have so many. Thanks to all with their prayers and wishes. Love, to my little ones Grandma!
Hi stacie and brian,
Love the Blog read every word looking forward to meeting Maddy and Abby ...... God bless you all....Cindy
Hi!
I am so grateful to be in the loop of how this journey is going...and send my love to you and Brian and the girls. They are beautiful and so loved!
You are in my thoughts and I can't wait to hear more about them and you and all the amazing things that are happening.
Much love!!
Lexi
Hi guys, thank you so much for the update. Dan and I have had you in our thoughts and are so glad and excited to see the great progress Madison and Abigail are making! Dan has requested to shed every tear for Brian and steal every gas bubble from Stacie. He would be honored. Stacie if you need anything Dan and I are off for the summer please don't hestitate to call. We love you guys!
Dawn and Dan
Miss Stacie and Mr. Brian! Auntie Linda and Terry of Boise are reading and watching your blog. This is amazing stuff. We are very excited for you two and the babes.
Stacie,
I've been following your story thru Merry Lynn - lots of prayers for you here, in Houston Tx! From this mom of twin girls, you are truly in for a wild ride... I'm praying for your sanity (bed rest gets old, doesn't it?), healing for you precious babies, and health for all of you. Oh, and staying prego for as long as possible!!! God's blessings to you! -M
Brian, Great to hear what's been happening in your life recently.
As the oldest grandchild of Robert and Floris, I would like to issue a challenge to all Corntassel Cousins out there to, of course, pray for Brian, Stacie, Abigail, Madison, but also to verbally encourage them by using this simple, handy comment section at the end of their blog. Our hears are with you guys. Love you,
Cousin Donna
Dortmund, Germany
I mean our hearts...
Brian,
Your mom stopped by Cozza's and gave her your blogsite. What a crazy ride you guys have been on. Congratulations on the babies. I look forward to hearing about the day they are born.
Let's get together to celebrate.
Tracy Martindale (Steinbauer)
tracy.martindale@disney.com
Incredible. I have browsed through most of your blog now and my prayers are with all of you... and for the strength of your family. When I was in the hospital pregnant with my 3rd child (20 days) my roommate had little boys with TTTS... She delivered her boys at 29 weeks and sadly, baby A (Kevin) passed away 6 days later. Hayden is almost 4 years old now... and has a little sister who will be 2 and a little brother to be born in March. It was a long journey for her and her husband and even still continues to be (We still keep in touch) .... What little fighters these TTTS babies are!!!
My roomate (Annie) was not able to get the surgery due to the placement of her placenta and of course the stupidity of military medicine...
Sorry to ramble... glad to stumble upon your blog!
Hi,
You don't know me, but I feel like I know you and your family well. Lexi and Hope Stevens are good friends of mine which is how I started to read your blog. You are an inspiration and just wanted you to know that I keep you and baby Abigail in my prayers every day and wish you the best of luck and happiness and love in the coming days.
Post a Comment