Friday, December 18, 2009

9 days and counting

Yup, you heard me right. 9 days and counting until hospital bedrest, and I am SO not ready. It could be worse I guess. I mean, I was able to extend my time at home by 2 days. If you remember, I was supposed to be admitted on December 26th, but now the plan has changed to December 28th. I am so happy to be able to be home for the holidays, although Brian does have to work on Christmas Day. Bummer, huh? But the plan now is to have one more visit with my OB on Christmas Eve, then see the peri in his office on the 28th for one last in-office growth scan and cervical length check.

I was told to come "with my bags packed".

So the way I envision it is to go to the peri's office (yes, I will bring my bag), then hopefully enjoy my last lunch "out" for a while with Brian and Abby, then take Abby to her 16-month well visit Monday afternoon, before they drop me off for my extended stay at "Hotel Hoag".

From there, I will remain on 24-hour fetal monitoring. The purpose is to watch for any drops in heartrate, as this would be an indicator that baby girl is kicking the blood vessel. If they find she is, they will have no choice but to take her. You see, the bigger she gets the more likely she could rupture the blood vessel when she kicks. If that were to happen, there would be little to no chance of saving her. That's the whole reason for the bedrest and planned early delivery. I was given steriod shots shortly after I had the appendectomy, just in case surgery triggered any labor, but since it's now been a month, they will give me another round of steriods once I am admitted. Assuming baby girl behaves and does not practice her karate kicks on that blood vessel, then she will be delivered via a planned c-section, on either January 14th or 15th. I will be in my 34th week of pregnancy when baby girl is delivered.

So, as of this week, I have gained 12 pounds total. Not much, I know...and it's not for a lack of trying, that's for sure. I am definitely bigger than I was when I delivered the twins, although that's no surprise considering I have been pregnant for 3 weeks longer than I was last time. And last Monday, baby girl measured 3 pounds 7 ounces, although I am a little skeptical of those measurements they do with an ultrasound. But even if you give or take 5 ounces (making her 3.2), she is still outweighing Abby by a whopping 14 ounces. Crazy, huh? Honestly, I am just hoping to get her into the 4 1/2 to 5 pound range before delivery. Considering she's coming at 34 weeks, I'd be very happy with that.

I still have tons of things to do. We are working on getting our guest room ready for the Grandmas, who will be working in shifts to help care for Abby when Brian is working. I have managed to get all of Abby's old newborn clothes out, but it still needs to be washed and put away. And apparently, I never planned on having another preemie, because I sold all of Abby's preemie-sized clothing on e-Bay as soon as Abby grew out of it, so some shopping needs to be done. And there's a few other odds and ends I need to get.

I still have some holiday shopping to do, and we are hosting a Christmas Eve gathering (12 people or so) Thursday night. Not to mention, Christmas Eve is also our wedding anniversary, so I need to come up with something for my wonderful husband. Oh that's right! I almost forgot that a dear friend of mine is hosting a gold party at my house on Tuesday night too! Humph. All this while per the doctor's orders, I am not to be on my feet for more than 45 minutes at a time.

Now that I think about it, I should not be sitting here blogging...I have a lot to do!

7 comments:

Devin said...

Oh, girl. I am bummed for you...I know this must be so, so hard.

I find it so weird to think that you may possibly deliver before me! I'm due Jan. 23rd. We may possibly be having our girls at the exact same time, if I don't quite make the goal!

I sure am praying hard for you right now, and for Brian and Abby. I do believe in my heart that this baby is going to come into the world healthy. I am praying earnestly for that each and every day.

If there is anything I can do--support wise, being so far away--please let me know. I can email till the cows come home, if you are bored in the hospital! I'm happy to do whatever I can.

Talk to you soon, my friend!

Erin W said...

WOW! Enjoy the time you have left outside of the hospital. I will most definitely be praying for you and Baby girl I have no doubt that God will orchestrate a wonderful delivery and bless you all with a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

Jill said...

Enjoy your busy (but not on your feet long) week ahead.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Yeaer.

Machelle said...

Just so you know, we are praying for you and your little girl as well as your family!! I am thrilled that you have made it this far and I know you know that this hospital bed rest is much needed for your little girl. GOSH I can not believe you are about to have another one!!! Please stay off your feet and keep healthy the best you can! (I know it is hard). Love you girl!

Beth said...

Busy girl! I hope the rest of your time at home is absolutely wonderful and that your hospital time flies by quickly. I'll also be praying that baby girl behaves and continues to bake til 35 weeks.

Merry Christmas!

Kelly said...

Wow! Tgis baby girl sure does know how to make an entrance! Hopefully you get everything done on the list.

We bought a few preemie outfits for Addyson when she came home. I'd love to pass them along to you if you'd like them. If you email me your mailing address I'll send them out. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Kelly said...

My email address would help. =) bbumblebee@msn.com