Let me preface this by saying that I have really been struggling as to whether or not I wanted to post this information. On one hand, I figure why not…I’ve shared just about everything else on this blog. On the other hand, this is a tough one to grasp and uncertainty is surrounding my family right now. And let’s face it…I don’t have many details yet and therefore maybe talking about it here is a little premature.
But sometimes, when my thoughts overwhelm me and I am too tired of talking about things out loud (and my husband is away at work for days at a time), the next best thing for me to do is to write my thoughts down. With that said…
Ever since Tuesday I have been walking around feeling as though I had just been hit by a speeding train. As we all know, Abby is just about 2 ½ years old. She has been through so much and has fought so hard. She is so awesome and big and strong and smart and pretty and our miracle TTTS survivor and when you look at her, you would never in a million years believe that she was ever a preemie, let alone one who went through what she did in the first 6 months of her life.
When we brought Abby home we were followed by CCS. She got 1 hour of physical therapy once a month for about a year, until we were eventually cut off, not only because of state budget cutbacks, but because Abby was doing so well, developmentally. She was also seen by early interventionists every 6 months and was discharged at age 2. Awesome.
Something I’ve always noticed is that Abby doesn’t quite walk on her right foot the same way she does on her left. She seems to slightly ‘favor’ her right heel. I’ve kept my eye on it for a while now, and last week I started to think maybe we should have it looked at by an orthopedist. I didn’t think she was injured. I just remembered that before she started walking she was definitely pigeon-toed in the right foot, but it certainly didn't get in her way. I just thought maybe he could prescribe a little physical therapy. No big deal. After all it couldn't be anything major. The previous therapists didn't notice anything. The early interventionists at EDAC didn't notice anything. Our pediatrician didn't notice anything.
So I made an appointment and Tuesday we went to see the doctor. He took us into the hallway to play with a ball. He wanted to see her run. She ran. Then he did a little examination…checked her reflexes and stretched her out a bit. Then he looked at me and said…
“She doesn’t have an orthopedic problem”. (you may have heard my giant sigh of relief)
He said:
(cue the speeding train)
“It’s a neurological one”.
10 comments:
definitely blindsided. Sending ((HUGS)) your way..and prayers. So, will you be referred to a specialist?
This brings me back to when we thought my daughter had stomach issues and low and behold, she had a hole in her heart. Definitely blindsided.
Ugh, I knew what you were alluding to as soon as you mentioned Abby's walking... hang in there... you are amazing to realize there was an issue when many professionals had missed it... if it *is* what you linked to, it's non-progressive, right? I am praying for all of you that you will get answers asap.
Being blindsided is always terrible and as a parent it's the worst. Sending hugs and prayers!
I have been steadily praying for you and Abby since our conversation this week. I am glad you choose to vent on your blog. Because there are so many people out there that will pray for your peace and a correct diagnosis for Abby.
HUGS,
ML
Seriously blindsided. I'm not sure what to say, other than we'll be praying for Abby (and all of you), and that we're sending lots of support, prayers, and positive thoughts your way!!!
moments like that just hit you like a train....
i'm thinking of you....and your little abby is a fighter!
thank you for sharing your heart...
I did not see that one coming either because she is doing so great! She is a trooper and a fighter and whatever comes to meet her, she will battle through it just like she did when she was a preemie! Sending prayers you way!!
I just found your blog...and am going through a similar thing with one of my daughters (a former 28 weeker). I felt just as blindsided. Have you been referred to a neurologist yet? My daughter is scheduled for an mri next month and I am scared out of my mind. If you would like to chat offline, please contact me (I can't find your email) stephilynn at yahoo dot com
Sending hugs and prayers your way!
for the love!! I know you are just thinking, "what next?!"
Good job mom for keeping an eye on it. I'm saying a prayer for ya'll!
Oh Stacey. I am so sorry. I can only imagine your stress level right now. I feel like we have been blindsided over and over and so I understand a little of that emotion, but not the specifics to what you are potentially facing. In other words, I don't know what you are feeling, but I get it a little bit.
If you want to talk, vent, chat, call me or email me or text me. We are just a phone call away at any time.
Praying for you all and hoping Thursday goes smoothly for you. You are in the best place in the world for medical care for her. Hang in there and know you are in our thoughts.
Much love,
Kristi
Post a Comment