Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Next Steps

We met with our new neurologist today. We loved him. He was awesome with Abby. He was awesome with us.

The long and short of it is that he concurred with our orthopedist's findings. So, not surprisingly, the next step is an MRI to confirm the diagnosis.  He suspects that at some time during my pregnancy or within the first few hours of Abby's life, she suffered from some sort of minor brain bleed. The awesome news is that whatever the damage, it appears as though it is extremely mild, which is surprising even to the doctor, given the complications I had during that pregnancy and her low birth weight.  The fact that she has hit her milestones (sitting, walking, talking, etc.) is reassurance that whatever we are dealing with is definitely on the mild side of the spectrum.

He wrote a prescription for PT so that we can go through our insurance and get started right away without having to wait the months that it might take to get through the CCS system (although we are hopeful that we will be accepted into CCS). And as I am sure any parent can imagine, I am horrified at the thought of having to put Abby under general anesthesia again.  It gives me some peace to know that this is just an MRI...it's not a surgery that she will wake up from in pain. I hope all she remembers is a nice little nap when it is over. But the hospital, the IVs, the going under...I was hoping we were done with that two years ago.  I don't know about you, but I can't believe we are 2 days away from the 2 year anniversary of her colostomy takedown and here we are, back at CHOC, with doctors and specialists and tests and therapies and worry and so on and so on.

But here we are indeed.

And I know I haven't had the chance to respond to everyone who has commented, texted, emailed, called...and I'm sorry, but your kindness and your prayers don't go unnoticed. Thank you so, so much for keeping our family, and more importantly Abby, in your thoughts and prayers.

It means the world to us.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Abby is AMAZING!!! She is one tough girl and I know she will do wonderfully through all that she'll/you'll endure throughout these next steps.

Still praying...

Devin said...

I don't know if you have ever noticed this in any of the pics on my blog, but Lola has a cyst above her right eye. She, at some point, will have to have it removed, and it is obviously a surgical procedure. She will have to go under as well, and I am terrified--so, I get what you are going through. I will continue to pray, my friend, that God will protect her and keep her safe.

Kristi said...

Praying for you all and loving you with all our hearts!!

Kelly said...

Abby is such a fighter.. and so are you! Thank goodness it looks like it's a minor issue. I will keep you guys in my thoughts as you go through these difficult steps. Sometimes the not knowing is the worst part. I'm glad you got answers today and have a doctor that you love. Best of luck to you guys.

Membership Required said...

God will continue to walk with Abby and help her to step through this next obstacle. I believe he has something amazing in store for her. Just time will tell. Trust in Him and you'll be a peace.
HUGS, ML

LucieP said...

wow so hard to believe I'm been reading your blog for 2 years!!!
Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.