We didn't sleep a wink last night. They had to move a little girl into our room at
3am. We were up anyways, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but it certainly didn't help matters. Then at 4am, Abby's bag leaked. We had to change it one last time. At 6am, x-ray came to take a picture of her chest, and right on time at 6:30, they came to take us to surgery. I was able to carry her the whole way down and they wheeled the crib along side. We signed some paperwork, met with the doctors, and then had to hand her off to the nurse to be taken away. Probably the hardest moment of my life...so far.
She was in surgery for 4 hours and 7 minutes (but who's counting?). Longer than expected, but she did well. She has a central line placed in her chest, but was able to be extubated immediately after surgery. Brian saw her in recovery for a few minutes, then they kicked him out and I stayed with her for about an hour and a half.

We were finally taken back to our room at about 1pm. Abby has an NG tube in her nose. It is collecting all the "stuff" in her belly, since her intestines are not yet working at all. Her central line in her chest will stay there until we are discharged. She was getting morphine every 3 hours, but they have upped that to every 2 hours now. She has been on and off the nasal cannula, but seems to be doing better with her oxygen saturation now that we have gotten a little further in the day. She also has a catheter right now. And unfortunately, she lost a little more blood than was expected, so she is in the middle of a transfusion. Her red blood cell count was a little too low for the doctor's liking. And to be honest, she was looking very pale. Her transfusion should be done at about 2am, and her color has already started to improve.
Now we just wait, and manage her pain. The fluid coming out of the NG tube has to turn to clear, then we will know the intestines have started functioning again. After that, they will listen for bowel sounds. Once that happens, we should start to see some poop, or at least something, coming out of her little tushie. Once the poop starts, they will slowly start her on clear liquids. As long as there are no unforeseen obstacles, we expect the whole process to take another 5-7 days.
I am not going to lie...this has been a very difficult day, for everyone. We are a little worried about her desats, but as long as they are fewer and farther between, it is a good thing. She is clearly in a lot of pain and she is very, very hungry. She has been constantly making a little sucking motion with her mouth. She must be dreaming about her bottle.
Again, thank you all for the support and love that is pouring in. And thanks to the visitors that stopped by to wish Abby well. I am sorry if I didn't respond to all of the test messages and voicemails, but service in the hospital is spotty, at best. I have to get back now, but I will end with a few pictures from this afternoon, taken once she was back in her room.
And yes, that is a heart-shaped dressing made especially for Abby by Dr. German...in honor of Valentine's Day. And yes, that little C in the middle does represent the Chicago Cubs...also by Dr. German, to match the sweatshirt her Daddy was wearing today.
More tomorrow, but for now I have to get back to my girl...
18 comments:
It was so nice to see you guys today! I filled Joe in all that happen. And your neighbor! If you guys need ANYTHING PLEASE call or text!! It was so hard to see her in pain but I am so thankful to God that she did so well in surgery!!
Some of those pictures came out really good! Get some GOOD SLEEP...you both need it! I can come sit/visit Saturday if you want/need!!
Take care of yourselves!
Love
Diane and the gang
That little one is such a fighter!!
So glad to see the update - yay Abby (and yay Mom and Dad)! We were anxiously awaiting news all the way over here... keeping you all in our prayers. Praying for the pain to subside, and for poop!
Love, the A-Team
Oh what a long day for all. I hope that you are able to rest and that each day gets better for her. That soon all will be well again in your world. Our family continues to pray for you and ask the Lord to bless your family with healing and grace. Have a good day and love to all. ML & family.
She is such a strong little lady, so much like you!!! While my heart breaks to see the picture of you by her (rather large and intimidating, i must say) crib, I rejoice to hear the news that it went well and she is on the road to recovery. Prayers for continued strength for all of you and hugs too.
We were glad to see the update-a long day for everyone for sure, but hopfeully the worst is over and now Abby will be on the road to recovery! She is one trooper of a little girl and she will amaze you once again with her strength. We are thinking of all of you and looking forward to hearing about Abby's progress.
Hugs to all and give Abby extra kisses from us!
We can't wait for the poopy diaper report!
love,
the CT family
I'm so happy to hear the surgery went ok! God has been putting you on my heart to pray for, even though I don't know you. Your daughter is so precious!
Praying continually,
Becky
ooh that is so hard....I can't read your post with out crying so I can only imagine how you're feeling being their and seeing your little girl go through more stuff...but I've learned something this week...when we put more into something at the beginning the results are usually better in the end instead of doing a small job and having to fix it later.
Sorry if that didn't make sense but basically what I'm saying is that I'm glad Abby is doing this now so that as she continues to grow she will hopefully not have to go through more down the road.
Thanks for the update!
Your post made me cry! I can't imagine how you are feeling but we are still praying for you! Hopefully today will be tons better and a bit easier on you all! Much love and prayers~
Poor, sweet baby. I am praying like crazy over here. Just wanted to let you know....
We are still praying for you guys. I am sure you have had a rough couple of days. Glad to see things going ok.
Take Care!!
Jessica
Gasp! Those pics!! What a great post ... she's on her way now! I'll be sure to make sure Dad or Uncle Malcolm show Grandma Gene the latest!
Hugs from Texas.
Thanks for the update on Abby (and her parents, of course). You all were in my thoughts all day yesterday and I think I checked your blog 4 or 5 times hoping to read an update.
Stay strong, Yay for you, your huby, and Abby for getting through this, and you and your family will continue to be in my prayers -- hoping for a quick recovery for your precious baby girl!
Glad Missy lou is on her way to recovery. Love how they kicked hubby out for you...not really :) Get some sleep and hang in there! She will be home in no time :)
~Elyse~
I am so happy to see that Abigail is out of surgery. I know it was probably one of the longest days of your life and I hope that each day from here gets exponentially better as Abby recovers... I am praying for her quick and healthy recovery, especially for her pain to subside and for her intestines/bowels to start doing their thing! Get some rest...let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help. If you need me to run any errands for you on my way home from work, please don't hesitate to ask. Lots of love and blessings to you guys,
Erin (Nick and Baby Girl) Jasper
I am so glad she is doing so well! We were out of the internet for a few days so I just got to be updated on you! I can not believe that clear liquids fixed the reflux! I wish we could do that huh! I hope you get some rest here soon as I am sure you need it! Keep us updated on her progress. Your post made me cry and to see her in the bed did it even worse! But she is a trooper and will be home before you know it! FOR GOOD! Also, they do make soy formula but I will tell you why they say that is bad for girls later when you are home....
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/121/5/1062
There ya go, that is about soy. Not supposed to be used in preemies...
Feeling so much for you guys. Hang in, and thanks for the update!! Sounds like good news on the surgery, those recoveries can just take some time. We love y'all.
ReamTeam
I was so happy to read that she did well during surgery and now for the pain to ease up for her. Know that you both worried so know that I am still praying for your family. Love, Mary Helen & Ron
Post a Comment