Friday, January 23, 2009

Unexpected...

Abby had her pre-op appointment with the surgeon. He said every thing looks great and we are a go for surgery next Thursday as planned. On his way out of the office I was stunned when the conversation went like this:

Doctor: "Great! See you Tuesday".
Me: "You mean Thursday, the twenty-ninth".
Doctor: "No, I mean Tuesday.
Me: "But Tuesday is the twenty-seventh".
Doctor: "Yes it is. She needs to be admitted on Tuesday, the twenty-seventh".
Me: (luckily to myself and not out loud)..."what the bleep-ity-bleep-bleep-bleep?!?!"

Apparently, and I was not told this by the scheduler when they called, Abby has to go in 2 days early for observation, another barium enema, and some other pre-op tests. This I am NOT happy about. I had finally come to terms with putting her in the hospital on Thursday, knowing that she would quickly be put under and then for a few days, not really know where she was or what was going on. Instead, she has to go in on Tuesday and will be very aware (and probably not happy) of her surroundings. Ugh. We also have to start her on clear liquids for 2 days. Man, she is not going to like that.

My sweet little innocent baby. She just has no idea what we are about to do to her. I am broken-hearted over the whole thing.

11 comments:

Two Little Bugs and a Bichon said...

Corny...Kellen had to have an unexpected surgery this week, fortunately only two days in the hospital. I was heartbroken, but as my dad reminded me...no memory will exist for them and it always hurts mommy and daddy more. I am thinking and praying for you guys. What is the recovery time for little Abby?

Anonymous said...

Hope all goes well. My prayers to her and all of you.

Membership Required said...

I am going to rally up some prayers for you as I know this will be hard to stomach as you worry all weekend about the earlier time line. Hugs, ML

Machelle said...

Aw, we will be praying for her! Everything will go fine. One thing I have to remind myself of (when the girls get shots or something like a barium swallow) they will not remember it when they are older! Are you going to be able to stay there with her?

Candy said...

We'll be praying for Abby and your family. We Plan, God Laughs. You are in His grip.

LucieP said...

hey chicklet
i was thinking that if abby was familiar with her surrounding, maybe it would help? then in the couple days when she has the surgery, you and the staff will know eachother and have a repoire and it may help you to feel a little more comfortable there?

I know what you mean...when I clicked on your page and saw your ticker I was thinking it was coming closer than I realized and then to see you will be admitted two days before makes it even closer...crazy!

We'll be praying!

Kristi said...

Yucky! We are sorry for the early admission, but I definitely think Lucie P has some good insight. By the time Thursday rolls around Abby will have become the floor favorite and will be basking in the glow of all the attention from nurses, docs, and anyone else who happens by her crib! I know it still totally stinks, but we will pray for the days to pass smoothly and quickly! Hang in there and remember to holla if you need anything - we are only a phone call or a quick drive away! Love,
Mark, Kristi & Luke

Devin said...

Poor baby girl.

Poor Mommy.

I am sorry for this...I will be praying even harder for all of you as you endure these extra hardships.

Anonymous said...

We are thinking about all of you and will be praying extra hard for Abby and you and Brian. Abby is a real trooper and will amaze you once again with her strength, I am sure.

We all agree that we should go to TX this summer-maybe July since the kids are older now and start school in August...? We would absolutely LOVE to see everyone and to meet the beautiful Miss Abby!

p.s. Clothes are in the mail!:)

XOXO
H, J, and Ella

Beth said...

All I can offer is my prayers for you and your baby girl! I hope knowing how many people have you and Abby in their thoughts and prayers brings some comfort!

Anonymous said...

Dear Brain, Stacey and Little Abby, This is not going to be an easy week and one you won't have to repeat. I asked Grandma Jean if I could add Abby to our church prayer list (St Olaf Lutheran in GG)she said yes and so I have. Hang in there, God Bless and Stacey I love your blog. Mary Schultz