Saturday, January 31, 2009

Need to vent

But I won't. Not here. Not now. But frustrations, they are a plenty. I just don't want to waste my time away from my girl posting about how frustrating, and sometimes annoying, life can be in a children's hospital.

So, on with the important stuff. Abby. She's doing well. Much, much better than before. We had some very scary moments late Thursday night and into Friday morning. She was in a lot of pain and we couldn't seem to get it under control. Her oxygen levels were not good, and she seemed to be laboring just to breathe. At one point, at some ridiculous hour of the morning (3am-ish, I think), me, her Daddy and about 5 or 6 nurses were all at her bedside trying to help her get comfortable. It was very scary. Ultimately they decided she was refluxing badly (thanks to the NG tube), so they ended up putting a small tube in the back of her throat to suction out whatever was back there choking her. It helped a little.

Friday was a little better. We did a better job of managing her pain. I was even able to take her out of the crib and snuggle with her a bit. She became incredibly bloated and puffy. Her little face was almost unrecognizable because she was so swollen. And when she would open her eyes, they were empty inside. Her sparkle was gone. It was like she was looking right through you when she looked your way. I know it's just the morphine, but it is so hard to see your little one like that. She started running a very slight fever in the early afternoon, and had a little bit of junkiness in her lungs, but they said these are both typical things that happen post-op. So we took the blankets off to cool her down and that seemed to do the trick. Her fever went away and eventually she coughed out the junky stuff.



And just for the record, we are not trying to make a fashion statement of any kind with that bow on her head. It is there to hold the NG tube against her head. Otherwise her skin gets pulled.

Last night was a million times better than the previous. She fussed a little, right around the time she was due for the morphine, but she quickly went back to sleep. She did not have any desats, and her breathing was good. Her Daddy and I were both actually able to get a little sleep. Not a lot, but more than we have had all week.

And today? Today has been really good. A lot of the bloating has gone away. She spends more time awake. When she cries now, it actually sounds like the old Abby cry. Not some drug-induced, hoarse, whimper of a whine. She even spent about an hour sleeping on her tummy, on me. In the old, familiar way. It was so nice...for both of us, I think. We have increased the time between pain meds to 2.5 hours, instead of every 2 hours. We even propped her up and put her favorite show on...Baby Beethoven. I think she really enjoyed that.





I had to put socks on her hands (I don't have any mittens), because she wants to pull that NG tube right on out of her nose. And we know from our NICU days, she'll do it! They are also on because the morphine makes her very itchy. She keeps trying to rub her nose and eyes. You can probably see the redness where she keeps scratching.

So that brings us to now. She is resting quietly back in her crib so I snuck away to Starbucks for a minute. Daddy is with her though. I better go for now, but not before I put up a few more pictures from today.

Oh crap...I almost forgot...we've got gas!!! We are starting to hear bowel sounds and she has passed a little gas! Tushie-sneezes, if you will. There was even a little somethin' somethin' in her diaper today. I won't post it, but you better believe I took a picture of it! And her catheter came out this morning. Doc says we may start clear liquids Monday. Fingers crossed...









Thanks again for continuing to pray for Abby. She still has a ways to go, but each day we get closer and closer to ending this chapter for good. I can't wait to see what excitement the next chapter has in store for her.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

First I must say that although you said you werent making a statement with that bow headband....the girl looks good as a bow head.....hint,hint....I think she has gotten a bow or two from me. Grin. Second, I am happy to hear about that stuff in her pants...good for her. Believe me I took a picture of campbell's first pee and poop in the potty chair so cherish that picture of the stash in her pants. Yahoo! Third, so happy to hear that things are on the upswing especially after hearing about the scary parts. Fourth, venting is good (especially when under stress)and me and your bloggy friends would allow you to do so. Fifth, continuing to pray and pray for you all. Hugs, ML

Beth said...

I'm so glad she's doing better! Love the pix and will continue to pray! Also, yay for the tushie sneezes!!!

Machelle said...

I am so happy she is getting better!! Gosh I am so happy. I know how hard it is to see your baby girl in the hospital and I hope she can come home soon! Those NG tubes...I think every baby pulls those out! I am glad she is getting better with the destats and such. I love the pictures and I think she looks adorable with the bow! How she loves her Einstein!! You are always more than welcome to vent we are here to listen! I am glad you are getting some noises down there!!!

Elyse said...

Sweet Miss Abby,
You look so tiny in a big room! My heart and prayers pour out to you. I wish I could just take all the pain and worries away. You have two wonderful parents who take SUCH GREAT care of you! Soon, you will be out of the hospital and back at home...SOON!!!

Hang in there and the tushie sneezes cracked me up!
~Elyse~

Devin said...

Wow. It is so hard to see her like that in those above pictures--I can't imagine what it must be like for you!

I am glad to hear that today things are much better. Still praying for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the saga continues. I'm so glad to read the good news; sounds like those were some VERY very tough dark hours the other night...I'm grateful they've passed. Your little girl is a stud, and you know her guardian sister is pulling as many strings as possible for her too. With love and continued prayers,
Reamteam
ps we love gas!

Alexis said...

Oh my goodness I am so thankful that you continue to keep us all updated so regularly on Abby's progress; she is such a tough little cookie! I think of you guys every day and am wishing Abby a quick recovery so she can get back to her regularly scheduled playtime (and pooping)!! This quote reminds me of her and how strong she is:
'What lies behind us and what lies 'before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.' (~Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Anonymous said...

Hey Stac,

Thank you so much for updating us! It is so hard not to be there for you, Brian and Abby! She looks so much better and the laptop is the cutest picture!! If you can't vent here where can you vent??? How are your neighbors? Phone still beeping/ringing/talking...or do you have new neighbors? Hang in there...
You guys have a good fighter on your hands...
Take care,
Diane and the gang
Joe got Abby her first football, hope we can drop it off soon! But we have cooties right now..

Anonymous said...

Abby looks beautiful with her hair bow, but most important is that she is getting better. Venting is good, as it lets go of a stress builder that is why we are given friends and sometimes mom's are good at just listening. Love and prayer to your family. Mary Helen

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that things are starting to get better! Little Abigail is just so awesome! It's amazing that despite all the tubes and the meds and the pain, she is still just ADORABLE as ever! We are continuing to pray for you guys...hopefully the bowel movements continue the way they should and she will be home and feeling great soon! Sending love and blessings...
Erin (and Nick and Baby)

Holtan-Bates family said...

What an amazing little fighter you have there! She is just beautiful even when nestled in the hospital. You are thru the worst so hopefully you will all be home soon. We will continue to send you hugs, hopes, and lots of prayer!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

So, I know you're COMPLETELY busy right now, but when you have time after you all get home and settled, I left you an award on my blog!

Baby girl looks GOOD!!! I can't wait to hear she's home!

Anonymous said...

Brian and Stacy- I just read your blog about little Abigail'a progress...she is in our thoughts and prayers....she is such a little fighter! I think I'm seeing some of the "Roberts...Corntassel" red-hair there! Take care of yourselves too-
Tammy Calhoun-aka-Tammy Schultz

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!! So glad she is doing better!! We will be praying for a quick recovery!!!

Jessica

Homegrown Tribe said...

Just wanted to let you know we're still praying for you all!

britt

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Granny R in a photo! Yep, there is a tinge of red in Miss Abby's hair alright. We've been amiss at checking up on little Abby's doings lately. But will do better. We are happy to see she is on the mend in many ways. Loves from Great "Auntie" Linda and Terry