Thursday, January 8, 2009

A little health update

Abigail had her 4 month check-up today. Good news...ear infection is gone. Better news...she has finally hit the charts! The percentile charts, that is. She weighed 12 pounds 4 ounces which is a gain of 1p 5oz in just 9 days. Crazy, huh? She is in the 25th percentile for her weight. Her height is 23 inches. She hit the 10th percentile for height. We are just happy she's finally on the map. These numbers are all based on her real age. Doc also said we should be able to start her on solids in about a month and a half.

We also had the Regional Center come by today. They will be following her development for the next 3 years. She will have what they call Infant Stimulation Sessions twice per month for 1 hour at a time. Someone will come to the house and basically play with her and do some exercises. There will also be a Physical Therapist watching her, but just as a consult. Right now they think she is well on target for her adjusted age, so PT is not a requirement...yet. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

They left us with some goals for the next 6 months. At the end of that period they will come back and assess her progress. Our goals are:

1. Maintain stable health. This will be up to us to keep her appointments and have regular check-ups with any doctors and specialists she is currently seeing. Sounds pretty easy to me!

2. Demonstrate age appropriate developmental skills. In 6 months they expect she should be able to maintain stomach position and begin to pivot, assume sitting position on her own, get on her hands and knees, transfer toys from hand to hand, pick up objects, explore textures with mouth and hands, find a partially hidden toy, follow sounds, vocalize vowels (which she is sort-of already doing), combine sounds to make consonant-vowel combos, play independently for 3 minutes, interact with smiles and laughter during play, begin to hold and drink from a sippy cup and finally, finger feed independently. Sounds like we have our work cut out for us with this goal.

3. Stay on target to transition to school at age 3.

It sounds like a lot, but I can't wait to see her start doing some of these things. I have been able to get some coos out of her, and smiling is much more regular these days. I've been working really hard to get her to start the cooing and it is SO cute when she makes her adorable little sounds.

The Regional Center is a state-funded program and really IS amazing. Without them I don't know how we would know what milestones to watch for and it sounds like they have created a plan to keep us well on target. Most of these therapies are not covered by insurance (Physical, Speech, Occupational), so it is nice to have this program available to us. I expect it will make a world of difference in her development.

Now...for the BIG news...

Drumroll please...................................................................

We have a surgery date!!!

That's right! They surgeon's office called earlier this week and her surgery is scheduled for 7:30am on Thursday, January 29th. I can't believe the time has finally come and soon this whole intestinal nightmare will be behind us. Don't get me wrong, it absolutely kills me to know that my little girl has to go back into the hospital. She will be put under general anesthesia. She will be re-intubated. She will not be able to eat for several days. By no means is this an easy operation. It is, in fact, very invasive and comes with a host of potential complications. They will watch her carefully and run many tests for several days after the surgery to ensure her bowels are working properly before they attempt to feed her. And once she's tolerating food and her intestines are working properly, she will be able to come home.

Seriously...I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I don't know yet whether or not we will be able to stay at her bedside at night, but surely I am going to push for that. It breaks my heart to think of being in the house without my sweet Abby here, even if only for a short time. I just have to keep reminding myself that it is a good thing. She will finally have the quality of life she should have had from the get-go.

It's a good thing.

21 days and counting...

Please feel free to spread the word. She will need all the help she can get.



12 comments:

Membership Required said...

Oh I will be praying. So glad that I got that button made for you at first I wasnt sure how you were going to feel about it but said "oh what the heck." Typical right.
She'll nail those milestones just wait and see...a lot of them just happen from everyday play time with you and daddy. I bet they have a family room for you to stay in if not right by her side. It would be my guest that they would expect a parent to stay with her so they will have the provisions. keep her healthy and away from germs prior to surgery so they can move forward as planned. Lots of prayers coming your way from us. Kisses and Hugs, ML

Machelle said...

I will be praying for your little one! She will pull through great I am sure. I can not believe how HUGE she is getting! She literally will pass Mackenzie here soon! We decided Kenzie has silent reflux and it hurts her to eat. So we upped her meds so hopefully that helps. I hope they let you stay there with her, I assume they would. Gosh those are a lot of milestones to hit! She can do it!!!

Beth said...

You, your hubby, and Abby have my prayers! I agree with ML that little Abby will "nail those milestone". She's awesome and proof of God's presence! Sending positive vibes, prayers, and support your way!!!

Elyse said...

Praying for Miss Abigail and her milestones. I was a little surprised with the sippy cup though...she will do awesome though! Look @ how far she has come...she will do awesome!
~Elyse~

Two Little Bugs and a Bichon said...

I have followed your story from the start. I went through IVF as well, just had twin boys. You and your family's strength is overwhelming, and I know your Abigail will be just fine. But she will certainly be receiving prayers from this new mommy!!!

Two Little Bugs and a Bichon said...

So glad to see your post! They are fraternal, but up until now my husband and I are the only ones who can tell them apart!

~Sophia & Noah's Mommy~ said...

I see a playdate at the beach in our near future! :) Glad to see things are so great. I meant to post on your blog the other day about the mountains and the beach. I too love being able to surf or ski in the same day if we want! So cool. I cant believe it will be in the 80's Sunday and Monday. Do you have a pool????

Tammy said...

Oh, how absolutetly wonderful. I am sooo excited for Abigail. I have been following your blog since the beginning...and you often make me cry...but today I cry in happiness. Good Luck! Tammy (from the IVF board)=)

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holtan-Bates family said...

What progress!!!It's hard to believe how fast they grow. We are very excited for her to making such great strides! She's a tough little cookie and our thoughts and prayers are with her!

Kelly said...

Oh wow! There is a date. I know it's nerve wracking, but it will be a good thing when it's all over. It's scary no matter what. When Aubrey had her simple hernia surgery I was worried. It's your baby, you should be nervous. But you're right, she's going to do great and it's a good thing.

Glad to hear Regional center was out. They have been great in working with Aubrey. We are adding speech services on Monday. It's amazing how closely they are followed. It makes me breathe easier knowing so many people are watching her. Abigal will get the same treatment.... lots of eyes making sure she's on the right track!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that Abigail is doing so well! We always have her in our prayers and we will be thinking of her in the days ahead. She is getting so big! Do you need any summer clothes for her (9 months-ish sizes...)? Ella has lots of clothes she has outgrown-most she barely wore! So, if you want any, I will gladly send them your way!
Abby is such a cutie-wish we were closer so we could give her a hug! Give her extra hugs from us!
love,
H,J and Ella