Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 2 and things are good!

Wow. I just read everyone's comments, and as always, they brought tears to my eyes. Thank you all SO much for praying for our little family. For those of you whom I haven't seen on my blog before, I can't wait to go check out YOUR blogs, and I will do so soon, I promise!

How's Abby, you ask? She's great. A rockstar. But we already knew that. So far we have literally just been "hanging out". Except for a small heel prick to take some blood last night, it's just been life as usual. We are really just trying to keep her entertained in our little corner of the room. She shares it with a little boy...22 months old. I think he may be going home today or tomorrow...lucky him. And ironically, his Daddy is a firefighter too, so we've had lots to talk about.

Today is another day of just hanging out. We've pretty much moved the whole house over here. Boppy. Gymini. Bouncy seat. You name it, we brought it. Its the only way to keep her busy. She's not one to just lay around. She likes to be on the move. And entertained.

She will have a chest x-ray later today. She's been doing really well, considering she's been on a clear liquid diet for more than 24 hours now. I guess the "observation" is just simply measuring input and output and checking her vitals every 4 hours. Other than that, we just try to play with her. We are avoiding any walks or activities outside of our room because there are a lot of RSV patients in there right now.

All of the real excitement will start tomorrow morning at 6:30. She'll be taken to St. Joe's for surgery. It looks like they will be placing a central line in her neck. Ugh. It will have to stay in until we are discharged. Unless something unexpected happens, they plan to extubate her immediately after surgery. She will be brought back to the room and her pain will be managed with morphine. Then we just sit and wait. Sit and wait for poop. Who knew we would be waiting for such a bodily function to occur??? And with such excitement and anticipation, too!

So, I stayed with her last night and learned a little math.

Clear liquid diet = no reflux
No reflux = one comfortable Abby
One comfortable Abby = an entire night of peaceful sleep for baby!


That's right! I swear she had the best night sleep of her life last night. I put her in the crib at 8pm. She slept through a vitals check at midnight and another one at 4am. And I had to wake her up at 7am for a bottle and diaper change! She slept all through the night. In her crib. This clear liquid diet has really done wonders for the reflux. I know I still have to give her milk, but now I am wondering if we should try something different? Maybe soy? She is already on a specialty formula for allergies to cows milk. But maybe we need soy formula? Do they even make that? I'll have to call the pediatrician when we get home.

Well, that's the latest from here. I had to run to Starbucks to get on the internet, so I suppose I should be getting back to Abby and her Daddy. Here are some pictures from our first day in the hospital. Aside from the institutional, jail-like crib...things aren't so bad!

Waiting in the lobby to be admitted


Laughing at Daddy


Giving the crib a test run


"if you're not going to feed me, I'll just eat my arm!"


Playing the piano


Visiting with Grandpa Gary

He had to bring us baby wipes. Apparently wipes aren't in the CHOC budget. Diapers? Yes. Wipes? Nope.

I will try to update after surgery tomorrow! Thanks again, to everyone, for being so awesome! And if you don't mind, please keep praying. The hardest days are still ahead of us.

26 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the update -- I've been thinking a lot about you and the fam. Yes, they do make soy formula, and you have several options, so check with your ped and see what they think is best!

Still keeping Abby in our prayers!

Shelly said...

Just wanted to say that I am praying for your baby. She is beautiful!

Kristi said...

Luke was on Similac Soy in the NICU and did pretty well with it. I am sure like Beth said there are lots of options! Good luck!

Thanks for the update! We are praying hard! Hope to see you after surgery!

Hang in there!!! And yay for SLEEP!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great news on the sleep, now did mommy get any?
Sadly we will not be coming down today, ty and Ryan have flu, we're on lock down. call you later
love and prayers

Membership Required said...

Hey there. LOVE the pj's she is in. SO cute!!! I have been praying for you and have put the word out on my MOPS board too. Our family is keeping well wishes and prayers on our minds for you all. I think it is great that you are getting a peek at just how comfy she can be in a crib. Sometimes it's harder for the mommy to let them sleep alone. I found an article for you on Soy....you'll have to look for it with in the article as it is about half way down but very informative. YOU'LL want to read because it advises that preterm babies not use soy. But address your concerns with the your pediatrician. Soy formula is a big debate item right now....hot topic. Anyway I just thought you should take a peek at it. I cant say an opinion really as I only bf from the start and while they both had the little good start formula for cereal and an occasional sippy towards the end when I wasnt able to nurse I can only comment on that particular kind. Hope that made sense. Any how good luck tonight and especially in the morning. I know it was really hard for me to have Travis taken from me when he had his outpatient surgery for his hernia so be prepared for some tears. It will all work out though and you'll see her before you know it. I don't know if they mentioned how she might react when she comes too from being under but I bet they will. Travis was mad but then just wanted to cry and cuddle in my arms. Lot's of prayers, ML

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp#T031004

Heather said...

Oh so glad to see an update - how great about the good night's sleep! I hope that means Mom got a good night's sleep too. (Hope and I are always saying how if Ella and Ava sleep straight through... we don't. Never fails!!) Praying for everything to go smoothly tomorrow, feeling certain it will. God has an awesome plan for Abby! Will pray all day tomorrow (that should make up for the time difference, right?). Lots of love from the A-Team!

Val said...

Both my girls had reflux and we did find that soy with the youngest was so much better all together. They were both on Zantac- I believe - but they both out grew it soon after a year.

Anonymous said...

Here's to a succesful surgery and lots of poop afterwards!
Oh, and what exaxtly do they expect you to wipe the poop up with if they don't give you any wipes?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it's nice and boring...I told Bri that was my prayer: ordinary, routine, BORING! Hang in there lady, you are all on our hearts and prayers. BTW the first pic "waiting" shows a very very strong mommy resemblance (O thank GOD!!!!!!) :) Much love from us.

Mira said...

You are in our prayers!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

great news! and her cow jammies are adorable!

Two Little Bugs and a Bichon said...

Arent those cribs just lovely?!! Stacie, Abby is so beautiful and we all know a fighter...much love and prayer for a speedy recovery and lots of POOP!!! And i must say, isnt it amazing that people all over the country will be praying for your sweet baby, it warms my heart.

Kelly said...

It's good to hear how things are going. Boring is VERY good. Let's hope for boring post op too!

For the love of stinky diapers! I can't wait for her to have her first! That means you'd be out of there! I'll be praying for you and thinking of you tomorrow. Abby's going to be a ROCKSTAR! =)

Take care. And, YEAH for sleep! Apparently she has missed the NICU and just needed noise and activity to sleep. Silly girl!

Anonymous said...

Still praying for your little family and know that she will be just fine. Love all the pictures. Always, Mary Helen

Anonymous said...

You are so much in all of our prayers!! For Abby,Brian and yourself!! If there is anything I can bring please text me! You might not get this until after I am already there!! I pray that you get a good nights sleep, as Abby is!! That is great....she needs extra sleep to stay strong!!See you tomorrow and will start praying the second I wake up tomorrow!! Stay strong....
We are all waiting for CRAP!! That just sounds so funny and I can't wait to bring it up year after year with her at softball tournaments!!
Love you guys!
diane & the gang!!

Membership Required said...

PS. Just dawned on me that in one picture she is tummy sleeping....did you decide to just let her sleep how she likes to best? I know a couple of posts ago you werent too sure about tummy sleeping.
Praying, praying & praying.

Anonymous said...

Hi Corntassel family! I am so glad I checked the blog...I've been meaning to call because I couldn't remember the date of Abigail's surgery! Abigail is such a fighter and I know she will do great! Sending lots of love, happy thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery, a happy, healthy baby, a stress-free mommy and daddy, and poopy diapers! Love and Blessings, Erin (and Nicholas and Baby) Jasper

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I just wanted to let you know we'll be praying tomorrow as your little one goes into surgery. My daughter Kennedy has had 18 surgeries in her 4 years of life and it's NEVER easy on us parents!

We'll be checking in tomorrow to see how things are going. God bless your sweet family!

(PS. Heather sent me here!) :)

Heather said...

I'll be praying, praying, praying!

Membership Required said...

I just keep checking for an update even thought things just barely got started. You all are in my constant thoughts and prayers. HUGS!!! ml

Membership Required said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Praying for you guys! Waiting to hear good news :)

LucieP said...

we're saying prayers for you over here!

That is so crazy about her sleeping...and wonderful!

I hope things went well and that she is continuing to be as comfortable as possible!!!

Anonymous said...

We are praying, praying, praying....for Abby and you and Brian and lots of poopy diapers!!!

Love to you all-
Hope, Justin and Ella

Holtan-Bates family said...

What a trooper! Tomorrow will pass quickly and we can't wait to hear about poop! :) Prayers and more prayers coming your way~

Kristi said...

Hey! It was so GREAT to see you, Brian and ABBY tonight! Thank you for letting us visit! She looks so wonderful! I know this is still a tough road, but you guys are doing great. I am so glad you have made it past the surgery. I can't wait until this is just a distant memory for you and poopy diapers are consuming you!

Hang in there and know we are here for you!

Love,
Mark, Kristi and Luke