Monday, April 18, 2011

Today is a special day

It probably wouldn't be a big deal to most, but today is a special (and a little bit of an emotional) day for me.  One that, to be honest, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around.  Today Lilly is 3 days shy of her 16-month birthday.  No big deal really. It's just weird because on the day that Abby was 3 days shy of her 16-month birthday, Lilly was born.  Lilly seems like such a baby and yet when I was pregnant with her, Abby seemed so grown up to me.  I can't even imagine Lilly becoming a big sister at this age. It almost makes me feel sad for Abby...that we made her grow up so fast, become a big sister when really, she was just a baby herself.  I don't know.  I guess it's just all a matter of perspective.  Today I am happy that Lilly doesn't have to grow up too fast. And today I feel sad because I feel like we forced Abby to grow up too fast.  And a tiny part of me, today, is a little sad knowing that neither of them, ever, will be a big sister to another little Corntassel baby.  

This is Abby, all "grown up" just shy of her 16-month birthday...


And this is Lilly on the same day...

And this is them today...

 

Lilly, 3 days away from her 16-month birthday and
Abby, one week shy of 2 years and 8 months old. 

*Sigh*

8 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa said...

We are all just rejoicing in the fact that they are healthy and thriving,big sister and little sister, and very happy in their respective roles. Oh and may we add oh so cute. Look at those smiles
Love, Granpa and Grandma

Mrs. Classic said...

I'd rather have a little sister than more time alone with my parents when I was a child. What a great gift to have a sister so close!

Sarah said...

What and amazing gift it will be when they're older to be so close in age! They'll be best friends! They're so adorable! =)

Meet the Smiths said...

Aww!! what a special day...even if it's bittersweet!

I love how the girls like to play together...at least for that one picture!

Happy Special Day

Beth said...

That last picture of your girls is gorgeous!

I think Lilly was/is an absolute blessing to Abby (and Abby a blessing for Lilly); the gift of having a sister and best friend throughout life.

H. said...

Cute! I've had some of the same thoughts-bittersweet for sure. I try and focus on the positive things or else I feel too sad about them growing up so fast! :)

Kelly said...

Look at your beautiful red headed little girls! They grow up way too fast!

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Mellie from the old Bumpin '08 board. I have a lot of the same conflicted emotions because my Evie was was 6 days shy of her 16 month birthday when her brother and sister were born.

Last night, though, I saw the girls spontaneously "hi-5" each other. Every so often I get a glimpse of the relationship that I hope will be there and it is wonderful. I have had the same mixed feelings as you expressed so perfectly but in my heart I feel that we did the right thing in making sure that she would have a sibling.

Your girls are beautiful and I am so happy for them and you! : )