Friday, October 30, 2009

Welcome to my Pity Party

Consider yourself warned...this is me, right in the middle of my very own full blown pity party. Read on, if you choose.

Today I hit what many consider a big pregnancy milestone, 24 weeks. That point in your pregnancy when, if, one did in fact have any trouble with their pregnancy, the baby is considered viable. Ahh, yes...viability. With my last pregnancy, we were thrilled to reach this milestone. That was, until 2 days later, our sweet baby Madison died.

Today is different. Although in the eyes of the medical world, yes, today my baby girl may be considered viable, but not to me. Nope. After spending 49 days in the NICU at CHOC with Abby, and seeing more than my share of 24 weekers clinging to life, under no uncertain terms, is having a 24 weeker acceptable. Not to me anyways.

There has been some anxiety for me these last few weeks, with the 24 week milestone approaching. Knowing that we breathed a huge sigh of relief when we hit it last time, and having our dreams of making it safely to this point completely ripped from us with the passing of Madison. With this pregnancy, I just wanted to get past this dreaded 24 week milestone unscathed. Safely. Without incident. Without hearing some sort of devastating news that could change the outcome of this pregnancy.

We have been really enjoying this pregnancy so far, especially it's lack of excitement. We go to the perinatologist every two weeks, looking forward each time to seeing a good cervical length measurement and a happy, healthy baby. And until this point, we have not been disappointed.

Until this point.

Now, let me remind you, in my very first post ever on this blog, I talked about my complicated pregnancy. I talked about our horrific diagnosis of Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. I talked about how the doctors told us our odds if we didn't address the TTTS...a 95% fetal mortality rate. Remember?

So, back to this pregnancy. This seemingly normal pregnancy that we have been enjoying so much. The one that would end in a big, strong, healthy baby girl whose Mommy and Daddy would actually get to witness being born (general anesthesia and an emergency c-section prevented this last time). The one that would end with our sweet baby coming home with us on the same day I am discharged. Yeah...let's get back to this one.

Per the usual routine, we hopped in the car and off we went to our regular 2 week checkup with the perinatologist. After a long wait we were called back and as usual, all was looking good. My cervix was still measuring over 3cm, so there really wasn't anything to worry about.

After a few minutes, the tech mentioned something about a little bit of previa going on. No biggie. I've heard of that. Placental Previa. I think that sometimes corrects itself, but if not...well, I am not delivering vaginally anyways, so really, this is not a big deal. To confirm, she wanted to call the doctor in. Again...we are used to this, so I am still not worried. Doctor comes in. He watches the screen as she shows him what she's looking at. They talk a little medical lingo, and then he decides to sit down next to me and have a look for himself.

The technician leaves the room.

Now I know we are in some trouble. This is just all too familiar to us.

So I could go into details about what went on for the next 30 minutes during this exam. But I won't bore you (any more than I already have). Let's just say there was a lot of silence, a lot of anxiety, and ultimately, yet another could-be-devastating diagnosis. One that once again, we were told, 'if left untreated or undiagnosed, your baby will die'.

Yesterday, I was diagnosed with Vasa Previa, caused by a bilobal placenta. I will let you educate yourself on Vasa Previa, if you so choose. At this point I am just exhaused. Exhausted from all of the research that I have been doing on the internet. I am exhausted from crying over the fact that once again, my baby could be in grave danger if we don't manage this appropriately. I am exhausted from crying over the fact that once again, I have been robbed of a "normal" pregnancy.

I am tired of thinking about the fact that there is now a possibility that we won't get to witness our baby being born, if in fact, a now more likely emergency arises. I am tired from thinking about the fact that, under no uncertain terms, I face hospital bedrest at 32 weeks (or earlier if my cervix shortens to 2cm or I have any kind of preterm labor). I am absolutely exhausted from trying to figure out how I can possibly survive weeks of being without my Abby while I am in the hospital. Not putting her to sleep at night. Not waking up with her in the morning. Not comforting her when she cries. Not playing with her and reading to her. Especially with her being too young to understand where Mommy is and why she has been gone for so long. Especially with the 'no visitors under 16' rule in place at the hospital due to H1N1. I am tired of thinking about that fact that now, we most certainly face some sort of NICU time.

Now don't get me wrong. I am happy that we are in good hands. I am happy that our doctors are so competent and really, as far as I am concerned, the very best in the business. I am happy that this has been diagnosed and can be managed.

Yes, for these things I am and will continue to be happy and thankful.

But today?

Today, I am tired.

Today, I am puffy-eyed.

Today, I am in the middle of a pity party.

18 comments:

~Sophia & Noah's Mommy~ said...

oh honey! Big hugs to you. Everything is going to be fine. Try to think positive. I will keep you in my prayers - please keep us updated. If you need anything I am here.

Alicia said...

My heart goes out to you...I will keep you and the baby in my prayers!

Meet the Smiths said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. It is okay to have a pity party. Go ahead and have it. It is what you need. And then bounce back from it with the vigor to be the best Mommy ever.
You are one strong mommy...to have gone through already what you have been through and more added to your plate. You are Super Mommy.

God definitely has BIG plans for your little ones.

I will keep in my prayers.

Devin said...

Oh, Stacie. Now I understand. I just really wish I could say something...but there are no words coming to mind that I think would not sound trite at this point.

I'm so glad the diagnosis was caught now--from what I read, knowing all of this before delivery is absolutely crucial in having a healthy birth, so you guys are definitely one step ahead there, and that's really, really good--something to rejoice over (once you finish crying).

While I do believe this baby IS in God's hands, and I believe in the power of prayer to safely deliver her, I also believe that God made us as women emotional creatures for a reason. He doesn't expect a mother to get this news about her daughter and not be sad, not to cry, not to question why. It's allowed, and it's okay.

I am fervently praying for you, Abby, and your hubby. If there is anything else I can do, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Machelle said...

Go right ahead and have your pity party! I am so sorry hun!!! You will be in our prayers along with your little one. I have strong hopes that all will be well and this will be a healthy little girl and she will be a strong fighter!

Membership Required said...

Oh I am crying for you. I want to know if you knew this when we spoke yesterday? I am thinking not because we didnt talk of this and I am POSITIVE you would have told me. You are in my prayers and I will call out some great prayer warriors again for you family. Expect my call dear friend. I am hugging you right now....feel it? Hope so it was a big one!!!!!ML

Kristi said...

Oh Stacie. I am devastated for you, Brian, Abby, and Baby Girl. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face for the four of you. I am sitting here in anguish for this sad news. I am so, so, so sorry. This sucks.

I wish there was something to do that would make it so you don't have to leave Abby. I am crushed for you because of this. I wish there was something to do that would make it so you could have continued with this pregnancy as being totally normal and boring. I am just so sorry.

I will pray for you and will ask everyone I know who knows about Luke's friend Abby from the NICU to pray for you too. We will pray for this sweet baby who has two strong sisters to give her strength, we will pray for you to be brave (I know you are), strong (you are that too!), and calm. We will pray for Brian to be peaceful, strong, and brave too. We will pray everyday even harder than we do now for your family.

Please let me know if you need to talk, cry, scream, vent, just be quiet by have someone on the other end of the phone, whatever - anytime. I am available 24/7 for you.

You are such a fabulous mommy. You will figure out a way to make all this work. Abby will be sad, but she will be able to get through this. We already know what a tough little cookie that girl is! You are marvelous, strong, filled with goodness.

May you be blessed with patience and grace.

Love, love, love,
Kristi and Mark

Kelly said...

Oh Stacie! My heart just dropped. I'm SO very sorry. It just doesn't seem fair. You of all people do not deserve this! You deserve to have a "normal" pregnancy and I'm just so sad.

It's okay to have a pitty party. We totally understand! Please keep us posted. It sounds as if you are in very good hands with your doctors. I just pray that they make the best decision for you and your unborn baby.

(((hugs)))

Mary Helen said...

Stacie: ML just called to have me look at your blog. I often check it after I look at ML's. My heart goes out to you and family. Will keep you all in prayer and with gods help everything will be OK.
Love always, MH

Holtan-Bates family said...

Ugh! Pity party deserved!!!!! You are in all my thought, prayers and I hope everything goes as smoothly as it can from here on out! I am so sorry. Know we are wrapping giant arms around you and holding you super tight. this little girl has the toughest mommy, daddy, and big sister who will all make it and do whatever you have to. Have faith. . . keep hope. . .love!

Missy said...

Oh, Stacie. This is Merry Lynn's friend Missy.

This just sucks. This just absolutely sucks.

I am so sorry, and I will be praying for you constantly.

Missy said...

Oh, Stacie. This is Merry Lynn's friend Missy.

This just sucks. This just absolutely sucks.

I am so sorry, and I will be praying for you constantly.

Homegrown Tribe said...

Oh Stacie... I am SO SORRY to hear this. I can not even imagine what you are going through... it just doesn't seem fair, does it!

your baby is in Gods hands for sure

we'll be praying for you all the way!

britt

Mrs. Classic said...

What a hard time. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Jill said...

HUGS to you and your family.

Beth said...

I am sooo sorry -- you more than deserve your pity party! All I can say is that you and your baby and family are in my prayers! Sending hugs, support, positive thoughts, and many prayers your way!!!

Beth said...

I just wanted to let you know that our friends in Dallas delt with this exact same thing with their second pregnancy. As cruel as this is and seems for you, I wanted you to know that my friends were able to deliver a healthy, happy little girl (Ayla). She came 5.5 weeks early, but arrived via c-section w/o any complications or time spent int he NICU. The peri just watched her like a hawk and she was eventually placed on modified bedrest, but delivered a healthy baby nonetheless.

Hold on tightly to hope, pray, keep your faith in your peri, and know that you and your little family have a world of support surrounding you!!!

Heather said...

I will be praying hard for you and your family! I know that this just breaks your heart and causes much anxiety. I am shedding tears on your behalf right now. Know that many prayers will be lifted for you!