Guilt. I hate it, and yet it is consuming my life right now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enough about me, right? I should be talking about my amazing little girls who seem to be quite the over-achievers...both of them.
Abigail. She had her 16 month well visit earlier this week. She weighed 24.2 pounds and stand 31.5 inches tall. She had to have 3 shots, all of which she definitely didn't care for. And neither did I, if I am being honest. We also confirmed that her molars are coming in. She's cut about 4 teeth all at once, poor thing.
She seemed to really enjoy Christmas this year, even though we celebrated it 3 days late, you know...since I was in the hospital and Brian was working Christmas Day. But she loves her new loot and has been having a ball with all of the new toys. I think she enjoys cooking in her new kitchen the most. See?
And I just have to show you how cute she looked on Christmas Day, when she went to the Firestation with her Grandparents to have dinner with Daddy.
As for Lilly, well, she must be taking cues from her big sis (although they have yet to meet eachother) because she is doing awesome in the NICU. The PICC line issue turned out to be nothing, thank goodness, and they decided to stick with a peripheral IV instead. Her IV blew a few days ago causing a nasty little burn on her arm. When that happened, they put one in her ankle. About 24 hours later, that IV leaked, and at that point, they decided just to be done with it altogether. Fine with me! So they accelerated her feeding protocol...increasing the volume every 12 hours instead of every 24, and she has handled it like a champ. So she's off the TPN and they even discontinued the caffeine. Today she is up to 3 pounds 15 ounces. It's hard for me to believe because when I hold her she is still so tiny, but when you see her, she looks like she has a lot of meat on her bones. I guess she does compared to Abby at 12 days old. I know better than to ask when she will be coming home, but I have a feeling it will be much closer to our original planned c-section date (Jan 15th) than to her actual due date (Feb 20th). Today her gestational age is 33 weeks, and I am hopeful that they will start trying to bottle feed her by about Wednesday, although the rule is that bottling doesn't start until 34 weeks. Sometimes earlier if the baby is showing signs of being ready. And Lilly is more and more alert at each feeding, and has started rooting. So bottle-feeding...here we come! And it's all downhill from there...
Hopefully.
Here she is on the 29th...before the IV blew...
And the 30th, with her Daddy...
And last night, on the 1st...
I sat and stared at her last night for a while, and for once got a good look at her. I was trying to figure out if she looks like Abigail or not. I noticed she doesn't have that cute little dimple chin, like Abby and her Dad have. But it does look like her eyes are the same beautiful blue as Abby's...at least for now. As for the hair...it's a toss up. Under bright lights, it looks strawberry blonde or red, but under the dim NICU lights, it looks light brown to me. Time will tell, I suppose...
14 comments:
Every.single.thing you typed about feeling guilty, I have felt too. Felt today. Felt an hour ago. Will probably feel again tomorrow. You are not alone.
Lilly is so beautiful. I'm glad she's doing everything she needs to do in order to come home.
Thinking of you...
she looks like a strong cookie and healthy! i'm sure you are right about her taking after her big sister...siblings have a way of doing that! and they always want to out-do the other, i think it must come natural to them.
hope she comes home ASAP so you can your whole family together!
trisha
just wanted to say i understand...
this past fall i was split between my 3 year old and my 31 weeker...it was rough. hang in there...
your birth story is amazing! i am so glad both of you are okay...
congrats!
I'm so sorry you're battling guilt -- mommy guilt can be relentless, especially in your situation! Abby is as cute as ever, Lilly seems to have her sisters fighting spirit, and I think Lilly looks like you:) I love the pictures of your beautiful girls and look forward to seeing more!
Praying Lilly gets to bottle feeds sooner than expected and is allowed to come home as soon as possible!
Congrats to Abby on being such a rockstar with her well baby! Of course, it comes as no surprise.
(Sidebar - so you got her a kitchen? I totally want to get Luke one, but they all say age 3+. I felt like it could be okay, minus he is not walking or standing independently. But when he does...So....now that I see you went with one for Abby, I think I will do it once he can walk...)
Back to you and your lovely girls.
Abby is awesome and we are so proud to know her and see how much she continues to excel! Yay Abby!
And for Lilly - what a trouper too!!! Of course, she is amazing because she has the most amazing family supporting and loving her! With the world's best parents! We are so glad she is exceeding expectations! Yay Lilly! And we hope they decide to do the bottle feeding early!!
And for mommy, hey! Guilt sucks. And I have it everyday, for very different reasons and I know I cannot compare my situations to your very hard ones. I wish I could tell you to not feel guilty and to just trust your heart and judgment that you are with each daughter when she needs you most. But of course, the guilt will still stay. But I know you are doing the absolute best you can and that is really good enough, it really, really is, Stacie!
As far as Brian, I am guessing he couldn't care less about the state of the house! Most men are so chillax about that stuff anyway. And really he is probably more interested in your mental health than clean laundry! So if nothing else, try to take that guilt off the table. He is awesome and I have seen the way he looks at you and Abby (and can guess that look is the same for Lilly!). He just wants his girls to be healthy and happy!
Hoping for bright days and Lilly home soon!
Love,
Kristi
Your daughters are beautiful! Just looking at those pictures you would never know she is only 3 pounds! We continue to pray for her!
Lilly is already such a strong and sweet baby girl. Look at how well she is doing for just 33w gestation. Prayers are continuing to pour out to you guys!
~Elyse
Cute pics of both girls!
Chin up Mama you've got an awsome family.
She is so gorgeous. Brought more tears to my eyes! more pics and posts please. xoxo
Guilt is there for preemie moms. I think everyone who had a preemie baby goes through what you are going through. I could have done this, this could have been done, the doctor should have done this...etc etc. You are not alone in that feeling. Just look at your baby girl, know that she will be OK because she looks healthy and seems to be thriving! (I also think she has a lot of meat on her bones!) Abby in that dress just made me smile! She is such a cutie patootie! I am getting the kitchen next year for the girls and I think that is the one I want as well...PS as far as your messy house goes, I have that feeling as well. But then he spends a day with the girls and understands why nothing gets done. YOU especially should not be worrying about that right now with Abby being home and Lilly in the NICU. You have enough to do/worry about. Just know that we are here, I am here, you can email me if you need to vent. I love you and I am blessed getting to know you on our good ol IVF board...
Oh, Stacie...she is beautiful! :) Still praying for you everyday. That guilt thing can be a bear, and every mother faces it over something or other in her life (most face it many times!) Try not to let it get the best of you--I know from experience that that is easier said than done!
Lilly is BEAUTIFUL! You guys did a great job (again).
I'm so glad that I am back in town and the holidays are over.. I need to keep up with this little miracle! Praying for all of you! :)
Wow. Lilly is just beautiful! She and Abby are such amazing little girls.
I laughed when I saw Abby's little kitchen - I love that it has a coffee pot! I can't wait to meet these two one day.
So grateful for your updates. Take care of yourself, you are one busy mama!
Love, Lexi
God...I feel like I could write a book on mommy guilt. I have always said preemie mommy guilt is a totally different breed. You're little girl is so cute. She was the size my little boy was when he was born. Looking at her made me think of when he was born and looking at him now it is hard to believe he was ever that small.
Post a Comment