Saturday, March 12, 2011

I'm not sure what the title of this post should be

We have been so busy the past two weeks, but for the first time in a long time, I feel like we have accomplished so much.  We survived the MRI and the results, and after a brief, but inevitable pity party, I am feeling really good about what is in store for Abby. She will begin physical therapy this Thursday and will have two 45-minute sessions per week. I was even able to name the days and times, so it will be every Monday at 11am and every Thursday and 10am.  I love consistency!  After 25 visits, she will be re-evaluated and we will go from there. Total random sidenote...it's 9:12pm as I type this, I just put Abby to bed, and I can hear her up there singing shouting,  her ABC's. I love that little girl!

Another thing checked off my list...preschool! Not only did we get Abby into our first choice of schools, but we were able to get her into the days and times we wanted too. And she even has a little friend who will be in her class. Wahoo!

As for Lilly, she had her developmental clinic this week.  I was somewhat surprised at the results.  First of all, I shoud mention that she is 14.75 months old, 12.5 months adjusted. She weighs 26 pounds 5 ounces and is 32.5" tall.  This is about 3lbs more and 2.5 inches taller than Abby was at the same age.  Anyways, her scores were:

Cognitive Age Equivilant: 17 months
Receptive and Expressive Language: 13 months
Fine and Gross Motor: 12 months

I guess what was a surprise to me is that I was expecting her Fine and gross motor skills to score higher than her cognitive scores, not that I have anything to base that expectation on, except maybe Abby's scores at the same age.   Anyways, she did very well and although I am grateful that she is on target, it also means that she doesn't qualify for services or even to be followed by RCOC, which, in light of Abby's recent diagnosis, I am a little bummed about.

The pediatrician and therapist who evaulated Lilly at developmental clinic are the same ones that followed Abby for 2 years. The same ones who didn't notice Abby's abnormal gait. The same ones who discharged her. Let me tell you that it didn't take long before I let them know about her recent diagnosis...not to make them feel bad for missing such a major diagnosis, but in hopes that maybe in the future they will pay a little closer attention to the future tippy-toe walkers who come through their clinic (and maybe a little teeny-tiny part of me wanted them to feel a teeny-tiny bit bad about missing such a major diagnosis).

Ok, enough with my bitterness, for now...I do have some thoughts on the subject of sensitivity (or lack thereof), which I plan to write about soon...but I should get to bed now.  I am keeping all those affected by the earthquake and tsunami in my prayers, and before I go , I ask that you please read this story, and say a prayer their family as well.

2 comments:

Heather said...

What smart, adorable little girls you have! They are growing so quickly!

And I am sure that Abby is going to do wonderful in her therapy and show great improvement. I'm praying for her and you!

H. said...

GO Abby and Lilly! Keeping you in our thoughts and wishing you all the best-can't wait to hear how PT goes-she'll be a superstar!
And Preschool? Can't believe it's already that time! She will LOVE it! Ella loves school(and I was very worried she'd freak out going)...
xoxo