Friday, April 24, 2009

To Hell and Back

This morning at around 2am, Brian and I awoke to a loud, high-pitched, ear-piercing alarm. One that had never really sounded out before, at least not for any length of time. It took both of us about a millisecond to realize what it was. It was the AngelCare motion sensor. The one that lies beneath the mattress of Abigail's crib. The one that gives us peace of mind when we put her to bed on her belly every night, because that is how she is most comfortable. The one that only beeps when it hasn't detected movement for at least 20 seconds. Movement as faint as a sleeping baby's heartbeat.

Before we knew it we were both standing next to Abby's crib. Brian got there first, but in my defense, I sleep on the far side of the room. He burst through her door, flipped on the light switch, and without hesitation grabbed Abby from the corner of her crib. She was sound asleep, as peaceful as ever, and even the sound of the door banging against the wall and the brightness of the light shining in her eyes couldn't wake her.

It was a false alarm.

Brian put her back in the center of the crib and with adrenaline pumping we both breathed a sigh of relief and went back to our room. Neither of us could fall back asleep. I myself checked on her again, and again. Again and again, she was fine. And as I lay there awake in bed, I couldn't help but think back to exactly 8 months ago. August 24, 2008. The day our girls were born. And it reminded me of what a miracle our little Abby is. How far she has come. The hell that we went through to get her here. The hell she went through to stay here. In our hospital discharge papers, Abby was described at birth as being "...pale, mottled and floppy with vigorous stimulation required". A mere 2 pounds 4 ounces. A baby, we were told, whom would possibly not survive.

And here we are 8 months later, a total of 58 nights spent in the hospital, 2 major surgeries under her belt (well, right above her belt), 6 months of life with a colostomy bag attached to her belly, and we have a little girl whom the doctors now describe as "impossible to believe she is the same baby".

She's an 8 month old bouncing baby girl who loves to babble. Who giggles when you tickle her or make a funny face. A girl who sits up on her own and holds her own bottle. One who transfers toys from one hand to the other, and is grasping the concept of cause-and-effect. A little girl who rolls over and reaches up and down and all around to grab whatever she can get to. One whom while standing and holding your hands, puts one foot in front of the other and will walk as far as you are willing to take her. A girl who eats carrots and Green beans and peas and yams. She loves apples and mangoes and pears. She's a big little girl who wears 6-9 month sized clothing and size 3 diapers. She is stubborn. She is fiercely determined.

She is our miracle.

And if it wasn't for that scar, that massive scar that runs 3/4 across the width of her torso. The one I see every time I change her shirt or diaper. If it wasn't for that constant reminder of all that she has been through, I too, think I would find it hard to believe she had the start that she had.

Today my heart is filled with joy that I have been blessed with a beautiful, albeit stubborn little redhead. Every day I need to celebrate what we have overcome and be thankful that we finally have the healthy family we've always wanted. I need to do this because sadly, some families aren't so lucky. Like Stellan's family. And Kayleigh's family. And Jude's family. And Luke's family. And countless other families out there who have been dealt a crappy hand and have had to figure out how to play it.

I titled this post "To Hell and Back" not to offend anyone, its merely just a figure of speech, and because its the best way I can think of to describe where we've been. And to remind myself that I must be thankful for how far we've come. Because sadly, there are many families out there who are still in that terrible, awful place, searching for their own way back.

I hope and pray they find it soon. Very, very soon.



Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

13 comments:

Heather said...

Seriously, my heart was pounding just reading that! If I had been in your place I wouldn't have made it to the baby's room, I would have fallen over unconscious from panic! We are all so grateful for the miracle that is Abigail (and her angel sister) and praying for those who are in need. Happy 8 month birthday - and I love the dress ;-)

Love, Heather and the A-Team

Holtan-Bates family said...

You put it so well! As I read your post I couldn't help but be worried sick until I read Abby was ok but even then it makes you think of how wonderful it is to be able to be so scared. Knowing what people can endure is very motivating to do more ourselves. You really are inspiring to me and I love your posts.

Beth said...

My heart was also pounding when reading your the first part of your post - wow! We've also had 1 false alarm, followed by a sleepless night!

To hell and back you've been, but are now in the throws of blessings and joy!

Beth said...

can you email me your email address? my email address is bmswitzenberg@gmail.com

i have something i'd like to run by you:)

Kristi said...

Stacie, this is a beautiful, beautiful post. We are so thankful that Abby is healthy and doing so marvelously! What an absolute joy to know she is growing and healthy and so very loved.

Thank you for including us. Luke has been thru so many rough days and nights. I know there are other families who face far greater mountains that Luke does, but in the end, his mountain and our mountain are so tall to us. But he is a marvel and joy. He amazes me everyday with his smiles and giggles. And today he was so happy all day and healthy all day. Today he seems so much better than one week ago. Today he is just my little man without a care in the world. I wish that was our everyday, but I will take them as I get them and hope one day in a year or so (when I hope all our surgeries are behind us) we too can be "all better."

Much love to you and your family,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Happy 8 months, baby girl! What a long road you have traveled.Abby and you and Brian are an inspiration to us all.Can't wait to meet Abby one day! We keep you all in our daily prayers and are so happy Abby is doing so great!

love to all,
H,J and Ella

Holtan-Bates family said...

BTW~ I love the quote on the right! It is so true. I also have to say. . .where did you get Abby's dress? :)

Devin said...

I'm not gonna lie...that was tough to read that! I was concerned that something really might be wrong. Glad to hear it was a false alarm. Whew!

I know what you mean about counting your blessings...we don't do that often enough, do we? I can't imagine what you've gone through, what so many are going through now. I am just praising God that little Abby is well and home and happy! She is definitely a wonderful miracle.

Happy eight months, sweet girl!

Membership Required said...

What a scare! My heart was pounding but then I realized that if something terrible had really happened I would have already known via phone call....at least I think I would have. But seriously my heart was racing!!!! You have been dealt a rough road to travel in the months prior to the girls arriving and then through the last 8. However, I am a strong believer in the fact that the Lord doesn't give you anything He knows you can not bear. You my dear friend are a very strong girl and now mama! Hugs, ML

Machelle said...

Ok, next time you should put up a disclaimer FIRST and let us know she is ok! That scared the you know what out of me!!! Happy 8 months to your little one! She is getting so big and doing so much!!! Who said she is a preemie?!?!

LucieP said...

oh I have goose bumps!!!!

I have actually heard a lot about false alarms on those things...but I'd rather have false alarms than no alarm when I needed one!!

Anyway! You three have come a long way!!!!! Happy 8 months!

Anonymous said...

Oi. Parabéns pelo excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer um pouco do Brasil. Abração

Kelly said...

Thank goodness Abby is okay! That was very scary, I'm sure!

I too read those same blogs and my heart aches for those families. Your post was so true and very well said. It's amazing to see how far Abby has come. She's a beautiful girl and you can see the life in her eyes. (And maybe a bit of that red-headed stubborn streak. ;)