Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Neurologist and an MRI

We went to the neurologist yesterday. It was the first time we have seen one since Abby was in the hospital. It was simply a follow-up. We were assuming we would be discharged for good, seeing as Abby is doing so well developmentally. It's one of those appointments that we didn't really think was necessary but it was in our original discharge papers that we should follow up on, and so, we did. And it turns out, this doctor wants to do an MRI, on her head, which is all well and good except for the fact that she has to be under general anesthesia to do it. That's what is really bothering me right now.

You see, back when Abby was about a week old and looked like this, they did a head ultrasound looking for signs of a brain bleed (which luckily they did not find). Anyhow, at this ultrasound, she was diagnosed with a ventricular cyst. One that originally worried us to pieces. But the doctors told us not to worry and to wait and see. And sure enough, a month later, when she was this big, a second head ultrasound showed that the cyst had diminished in size, and was all but gone. And so we were told, again, it was no big deal...nothing to worry about.

Now, we know that there is nothing wrong with our sweet little girl's brain. We know that she is just fine. And so do the doctors. They said so themselves. The neurologist even mentioned how impressed she was with Abby's development. But, she says, she must do the MRI just to follow up. To be sure that the cyst is gone. To close the book and discharge us once and for all. But seriously...an MRI? Under general anesthesia? Couldn't it just be an ultrasound, while she's awake? I get where they are coming from, yet still, it is killing me, that my sweet baby has to go under. Again.

And so sometime, in the next month or so, when they have the insurance approved, we are going to have to go back to the hospital. She's going to have an IV put back in. She is going have to go back under.

And it's killing me.

6 comments:

~Sophia & Noah's Mommy~ said...

this sounds horrible. Maybe you should get a second opinion. Unless you really trust these docs. Poor baby girl has been through enough already. hang in there girly.

Holtan-Bates family said...

Stacie I am so bummed! That is so hard to do. . . .AGAIN! I hope and pray it is her last time EVER!!!!! Sending hugs and love~

Machelle said...

Ok maybe I am just hormonal but this post made me cry. (Mainly looking at her old pictures and thinking of how she looks now and how far she has come) I am so sorry you have to do this again but it will be great once you can close that chapter of her life and hopefully not have to ever put her under again.

Devin said...

Oh, Stacie. I am so, so sorry. I certainly understand the angst behind all of this...

I will be praying for your emotions and for sweet Abby. I loved going back and looking at the pictures of her from when she was so little! She has come so very far!

I know this is hard. I can't imagine--I freaked out when they had to draw a small vial of blood from Ethan a couple of weeks ago! But I know it will feel so good to finally be 'officially' in the all clear.

You are both in my prayers sweetie!

Kristi said...

Oh man Stacie! I am so, so, so sorry! This sucks! What can we do? Can we come to the hospital that day and wait with you? We will definitely be praying! Please let us know how we can help.

Praying for a peaceful and easy MRI and only negative results! And calm and peace for Mommy and Daddy while you wait for that day and during the procedure.

Membership Required said...

Poor Abigail and poor mommy & daddy. But remember God has you in his hands and he will protect her. I will be praying. Keep me posted. Glad you got the box. Hope you liked what was inside. ML