Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Resolution 1 - One Toy at a Time

We have a closet under the stairs. It's been, shall we say, a little bit of a catch-all as long as we've lived here. Sure it gets cleaned out and organized every six months or so, but even when it does, it quickly reverts back to it's rather embarrassing state. Lucky for us, it's rare that anyone other than immediate family even attempts to open the door. And lucky for us, our immediate family is kind enough not to comment.

If you are having a hard time imagining just how awful this closet can get, I'd liken it to Monica's closet in "the one with the secret closet" episode of Friends. If you don't remember that episode, here's a little reminder:


Things may not be piled up to the ceiling, but seriously...it's almost that bad.

My first resolution: one toy at a time, is being implemented because, let's face it, we have a rediculous amount of toys (and thanks the holidays and a December birthday) it's even worse now. And these toys seem to always. be. everywhere. Sure we put things away every night, but walking though our family room is like walking through a mine-field and if you are not wearing shoes, you could get hurt.

Back to one toy at a time...it required me cleaning out the closet in order to store all of the toys that are usually stacked, scattered, placed (not so neatly) different corners of the room. So, now, the plan is that the girls will take one toy at a time out of the closet to play, and then return that toy to it's proper place in the closet when they are done with it and want to play with something else. Sounds easy. We'll start today. And we'll just see how long it lasts.

But in case it doesn't last long...this is what the closet looks like today.


Up next: New Years Resolution #2 - A new haircut, or rather, a new. hair. style.

3 comments:

Membership Required said...

Good luck with that one. Tell me how it goes. I am often overwhelmed with the playroom that runneth over.

NEW haircut. New STYLE? Oh my word!!! You being the girl that was nervous and anxious with wedding hair for me TWICE....This I have got to see.

Meet the Smiths said...

I'm excited for your One Toy at a Time resolution. Good luck.

I am eager to hear how it goes. I cleaned our kids' closets, toy boxes, and shelf with totes...I walked away with 3 bags of stuff to get rid of. I guess it doesn't help to have a November birthday, Christmas, and then a January birthday. Ahhh!!
But we have 1 empty toy box now...woohoo!

Machelle said...

Ummmm....good luck with that one toy at a time thing. I failed. The girls would not listen to me. *sigh* Let us know how it goes!