Friday, November 21, 2008

Photography 101

That is the class I need to take. Photography 101. It probably doesn't come as a surprise to you...if you're a regular here on my blog...but I am not good at taking pictures. I'm not afraid to admit it. I mean, it's pretty obvious, isn't it? So today I spent much of the day stalking eBay. Looking at "fancy" cameras, contemplating buying one, in hopes that with a fancy camera, I would be able to take those fancy pictures.

And then I had a revelation. It went something like this: Maybe I should learn how to use the camera I already have. Maybe, just maybe, if I bothered to look at the user guide, I would find that my camera has the ability to take nice pictures, and I just don't know how to use it. Hmmm. I pondered this thought for a while, and then decided to actually dig the user guide out of the deep dark depths of the hallway closet, and actually READ it. Now mind you...I didn't understand most of it. Sometimes I felt like it was written in a foreign language, or at least, photography language. Damn. Why did I major in finance?

So I spent the evening reading the guide, then trying to snap a shot, then trying to enhance it with the fancy features. By the time I was done I think both Brian and Abigail had had more than enough of me. But practice makes perfect, right? Or at least better? So, my weary readers, bear with me as I practice taking pictures, and practice all the fun enhancements I can do with them on my camera. Or at least practice turning them from color to black and white.











And sepia tone.




And for the record, yes, that IS my dining room. And yes, the table IS set...well, sort of (paper napkins)...and yes, I DID cook, and force Brian to sit at the table. You see, we usually sit with TV trays in front of the, well, TV. I figured it was Friday night. And Brian had been working since Monday. I mean literally, since Monday. 96 hours straight. Fighting fires. And he has to go back in the morning. So the least I could do was make him a nice dinner, set the table, and light a candle or 2, so we could eat like normal human beings eat, right? But I digress. Back to the pictures. I know. Not too impressive. But I'll keep practicing. I promise.

And I'll keep reading that darn user guide.

4 comments:

Devin said...

I think the pictures are great, and your dining room is beautiful, may I just say! :-)

The pic of Daddy with Abigail is great. You'll get better. Be like me--snap hundreds. That's the best way to get better! I probably--and this is serious--snap 35 photos for every one good one. It takes that many to get a great shot sometimes!

Also, speaking of that, you may have a mode on your camera called something like "Burst mode" where it will take like, 50 pictures in 30 seconds. That is a fantastic way to get a great family shot, cause out of 30 seconds of holding down the shutter, somewhere in that mess of pictures, there is bound to be a good one in there! (It works for me!)

My motto is: It's DIGITAL, I can always delete the bad ones!

Snap, snap, snap....

Kristi said...

Stunning pictures!!! Awesome job! I think all your photos look great. After all your subject matter is stunning! The black and white's look awesome!

And seriously, how do you do it? How do you cook dinner, set the table, and even take pix of it? I can barely put a dish away during the day. I need you to organize me! Really - I am so not good at managing all this mom and wife stuff! Help!

Membership Required said...

I love that you all sit side by side at dinner. Too cute. I need to read my manual too. I just learned that I could change my camera over to b/w and to a setting called "pets & kids" because they move so fast. I learned that one at C's gymnastics class from a mommy who had the same camera as me. Fancy or simple it is all in the user...reading the guide might help us both. Hugs, ML

Kelly said...

I love the photos! =) What type of camera do you have? You need one that has a automatic shutter so you don't lose a second of that sweet baby girl Abby smiling. I got a little point and shoot to put in the diaper bag for everyday stuff but I can't stand it. The pictures are fuzzy and Aubrey's never looking at the camera. I'm in love with my Canon Digital Rebel. It's an 8 mgpxl so I'll need to upgrade in a year or two. Ouch.

Keep the pictures coming! She's so sweet! Happy Thanksgiving!