Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Our first ear infection

...and it sucks. I mean she's been through mountains of crap worse than a little ear infection, but I still feel like a jerk for not taking her to the doctor sooner. Poor thing has been fussy and miserable since Saturday. Crying every waking minute. Stuffy nose. Not sleeping well. And I just kept thinking it was a little sinus thing and there was nothing they could give her for it anyways. Another lesson learned for the new Mommy. Now that she has some antibiotics, maybe we can both get some rest and start feeling a little better.

Oh, speaking of doctors...I failed to mention this before...she had her colostomy study done last week. It was horrible for her and I think I am scarred for life having to watch her go through it. Luckily she won't remember it, and well, hopefully for me it will soon be nothing more than a repressed memory. Anyhow, she had a barium enema, and I am sure you can imagine, it wasn't pleasant. On top of it all, they were running behind so the poor little girl had to go about 6 hours without food. As if the enema wasn't bad enough! BUT, now that the test is out of the way, we are one step closer to her intestines being reattached. We are still looking at sometime in January, but are waiting to hear back from the surgeon once he sees the results of the study.

She weighed 10 pounds 15 ounces today at the doctor. She has her next RSV shot next week. And speaking of RSV...please keep the little miracle Stellan in your prayers, as it sounds like MckMama and her family are going through a lot right now.



Oh, c'mon...you didn't think I could make it through an entire update without a picture did you???

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Poor baby! Hopefully she feels better soon. And that procedure sounded like hell! Sorry you both had to endure that! Ugh.

Looks like you are loving your new camera. Doesn't it take amazing photos in the blink of an eye? Beautiful!

Membership Required said...

Ear infections do suck. At least you (for now) dont have to deal with poop as the antibiotics can lead to well lets just say more than walking...ok runny poop there I said it...which leads to diaper rash.
I hope she feels better soon. I too am praying for Stellan. Let's talk live soon. Hugs, ML

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh-that face! She looks so cute and beautiful! She looks so grown up too!!! :)

Don't feel too bad about the ear infection (waiting to take her to the MD). Many times doc's won't even do anything for them if the pain is not too bad (i.e., they are not too miserable). Hope she feels better soon!

And again - wow - she looks so darn cute!!!

Alicia said...

Get a Dr. Mom Otoscope. They are the best and allow you to check for ear infections. I swear by mine and it has helped me with both of my girls sometimes just for peace of mind and other times so I knew I needed to go see the doc. No worries, we've all missed the ear infection! With all you've been dealing with you are a great mom regardless!

Candy said...

Ear infections are SOOO miserable and you never know for sure until it's full blown. Easy for new moms to miss. But what a precious picture!

Am also deep in prayer for baby Stellan. Sounds like things are improving, praise God!

Beth said...

We did the same thing with Braydon. I kept thinking that I didn't want to be one of those mom who rushes her baby to the doctor each time he fusses. Thanks to my hubby's urging, we took him in and thankfully we did because both ears were infected and one was impacted with wax - just one of thousands of mommy lessons learned:) I hope she feels better soon!

PS Braydon's on Neocate

Heather said...

Poor Abigail, hope she is feeling better! Usually it only takes a couple doses of antibiotic to feel a lot better.

4 kids later and I have still taken/not taken the kids in when they did/did not have an ear infection... Aidan had a miserable double ear infection at 6 months and we only found out because of his well visit!

So you are not alone...

Abigail is so beautiful! Great pics. Praying for Stellan.

Hugs from the east -

Heather

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

thanks for commenting on my blog. id LOVE to hear about your ivf experience. i will try to send you an email tomorrow.

i hope abigail gets better soon!

Elyse said...

Found you through MckMama and read your story in one sitting! Hope Miss Abigail's ear feels better soon...they are no fun at all! Hang in there!
~Elyse~