Friday, February 6, 2009

The 100th Post...Another Letter to My Daughter

Dear Abigail,

Wow. Where to begin with this one, I am just not sure. I could begin by telling you all about how hard it was to get you here. How hard YOU have fought, right from the very start. We had trouble getting pregnant and so underwent two rounds of invitro fertilization (I’ll explain what that is when you are older.) Anyhow, when it was time to take the pregnancy test my second time around, they told me I was pregnant, but would miscarry. After many more bloodtests, you and your sister (and 3rd sibling whom which we don’t know the gender) proved them wrong. At our 7 week ultrasound, we saw 3 beautiful babies inside of me, but sadly, one did not have a heartbeat. But you and Madison were going strong. The problem was, they didn’t see a membrane between you and your identical twin Madison, so they said we only had a 50 percent chance of you surviving.

A week later, they saw the membrane and gave you and Madison a much better chance. We progressed fine until you were 16 weeks old. That is when they told us that you and Madison were suffering from Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. They said without treatment, you would both undoubtedly die. They offered us options, including terminating the pregnancy. But we knew, deep down, that we just couldn’t give up on you. And it was at this point that your Daddy and I decided that we had to do everything we could to save you and Madison.

We went to see a special surgeon, who said he could increase our chances of both of you being born healthy. So when you and your sister were 18 weeks old, I underwent surgery to correct the TTTS. I was awake for the entire procedure, and I witnessed the most amazing sight anyone could ever ask for. I saw you. And your sister Madison. In my womb. Right there on a big screen and in high definition. Now understand, there are not many mommies who get to see their unborn children quite in the way I got to see you, but to this day, I have a clear, vivid memory of the miracle I witnessed. And it is all the more special because I got an up-close and personal look at Madison. Something I will forever cherish and something I wish I could share with you and your Daddy.

We did great, the 3 of us, for 6 more weeks until suddenly, your sister Madison, died. We don’t really know why and probably never will. But you, my sweet angel…you fought on. I don’t know how you did it. For almost 5 more weeks inside of me you fought for your life. You had tiny amounts of amniotic fluid to keep you going. You had a heart arrythmia. You had to share your space, my womb, with your motionless sister, who was growing smaller everyday.

5 weeks and 4 days later, you decided that you would fare better outside my womb and I went into labor. I knew it was way to early for you to come…11 weeks too early, but you knew best. You knew you would do better once out of me.

And so, you were born. On August 24, 2008, you and your sister Madison were born. And as hard as you fought inside me, you would prove to be even stronger outside of me. For the first 2 days you looked great. But then your belly started to swell. They took you away by ambulance and I was crushed. Your Daddy split his time between your hospital and mine. On your 3rd day of life, your hospital called me and told me you were sick. That you were being sent right to surgery. Your daddy came running to you. He waited and waited. He was told you wouldn’t make it. He called me and told me my baby was very sick and would probably die. But you, my sweet angel, you proved them wrong. You fought tooth and nail and defied every odd. Yes, there were some complications. And yes, for the first 5 months you lived a somewhat “abnormal” life, with your colostomy and all. But you survived.

Last week, we took you back to the hospital. It was the hardest thing your Daddy and I have ever had to do. You underwent a grueling 4 hours and 7 minutes of surgery. As I handed you off to the nurse who walked you into the operating room, my heart broke. Into a million pieces. Those 4 hours and 7 minutes while you were away from me were the worst of my life. But once again, you proved your strength and courage. You healed faster than most. You my dear, have been through more in your short 5 months than many people go through in a lifetime. And your strength and determination just prove to Daddy and I that our fight when you were in my womb was SO well worth it.

I know you won’t understand exactly all that you have been through, even though you have the scars to prove it. And I hope when you are grown up and want to start a family of your own, that it will be easy. That you will carry your children to term. That you will never have to spend a minute in a place they call the NICU. It is a place I don’t wish upon anyone. I hope you always know how much you are loved. And I hope that someday you have the chance to love your own children the way that your Daddy and I love you.

Our pride cannot even be put into words baby. You truly are our miracle and we love and cherish every second of every day that we get to spend with you. You are tough. You are strong. You are a fighter. And we love you, sweet Abigail. More than you will ever know.

Love Always,

Mommy and Daddy

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely letter to your baby girl. I sure hope you made a had copy to place in her baby book. Am so happy to know that she is home and is getting better. Always with love, Mary Helen

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful letter and I am sure she will treasure it!!
So glad she is home and slept through the night!!!

Jessica

Candy said...

You have all been through so much. What a wonderful letter she will cherish forever. God is truly shining His light in your family.

Kelly said...

That is beautiful! It brought tears to my eyes. Abby is a very special little girl. She is such a fighter and is doing amazing! What a great gift this letter will be when she gets older. =)

Two Little Bugs and a Bichon said...

Stacie...I am sure you dont remember but I was on your IVF board when you became pregnant with the girls. Unfortunately, I dropped off early bc my cycle that month had been cancelled. I followed your story from there, it was inspirational how you didnt give up...even with low betas. I went on two months later and became pregnant with twins, who are now here. I say all of that to say this, dealing with infertility is not for the faint of heart and there were some days I felt no hope. THen I would think of Abby and Madison and I would smile at the possibilities. Your letter made me cry, what a long...worthwhile journey!

Homegrown Tribe said...

Thank you so much for sharing... You all have been through so much.

Abby is a miracle little girl!

britt

Membership Required said...

To hear the story addressed to Abigail is so much more than hearing bits and pieces of it while it was all happening during our phone calls. What a long tough road you have had (all of you) but for now it looks as if you all might get some smooth sailing and just deal with the "regular" baby dramas. Blessings on your day. Hugs, ML

Devin said...

Beautiful. I read that with tears in my eyes! What a sweet tribute to your beautiful baby girl.

Anonymous said...

Your letter to Abigail is so beautiful...something to cherish forever. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I am remembering everything that you and Brian and Abigail have been through...and I am thanking God for your little miracle! I am so happy that she is home and sleeping in her crib like a content little baby girl. I know that you mean it, maybe more than anyone could ever understand, when you say that you will cherish every moment with her.
Lots of love and blessings,
Erin (and Nicholas & Baby) Jasper

Machelle said...

Once again you have made me cry. I am so happy that you have her in your life. She is such an angel. Such a beautiful note

Anonymous said...

OK sitting her crying!! Hello... that was beautiful... I remember all of that but forget because it seems so long ago!! We are so blessed to have you guys in our lives and to witness such a mircle! She has the fight of the both of you!! DOUBLE POWER!! Plus her angel in heaven!!
Love
Diane and the gang

Anonymous said...

Dear Brain and Stacey,
God does answer prayers because Abigail is proof. I had lunch w/Grandma Jean yesterday and she brought me up to date. Stacey you need to publish a book with your blogs---You have a wonderful way of writing. I can see Daddy Brain coaching girls softball not too far down the road with Abby as the star catcher. Blessings Mary Schultz

Beth said...

Such a beautiful letter - tears were in my eyes.

God Bless you and your family!

Anonymous said...

please don't ever forget how strong you and Brian have been too. You are an inspiration to me and so many others. Mere words could never express the awe I feel when I read your posts!

Kristi said...

Brian and Stacie,

Thank you for sharing your story with us, your family's story. You have had such a tough time, you all have been thru so much more than anyone ever should have to. Your story is one of heartbreak, love, sorrow, joy, and triumph. Our hearts break for your losses of Madison and your other child, for the pain and sorrow you have had to deal with while helping Abby survive, for the sadness your hearts have carried and still carry. Yet at the same time our hearts rejoice in the miracle of Abigail and the love she gives to you and the joy she brings to your life. We cannot even fathom what you have gone through and wish you an easier time now, a peaceful time, one of just laughs and smiles and kisses and hugs. We are praying for you.

Love, M, K and L