So, the project? Yeah, it's STILL not done, but I am posting pictures of it anyways. Let me start by asking this...do you love your kitchen? Well, I don't. We have the original (cheap) cabinets installed by the builder, probably back in the mid-90s or so. They are awful. And as much as I would L-O-V-E a kitchen remodel, it's just not in the budget right now. We have done a lot to our house since we moved in. New floors, new carpet, a new loft with a wall of glass doors that completely open out to the rooftop patio (hard to explain but I will show you someday).
Anyhow, back to the story...I was never really sure how to make the kitchen look better without completely ripping out the cabinets and installing new ones, and then, a couple of weeks ago, when I had finally had enough of the eyesore, I decided we needed to paint. Paint the cabinets. Ahhh, what a great idea! Or so I thought. It's no easy chore, let me tell you. Especially when trying to do it in between naps, bottles and tantrums. Now I know that cheap, run down cabinets will still be cheap run down cabinets even if you paint them, but I must say, I think the paint did a world of good. If nothing else, it gave us a new look and forced us to give the darn things a good scrubbing. Not to mention, it will shut me up about a kitchen remodel, at least for a little while. So for $200 in paint and new hardware...here is the result...
Oh, and don't mind that the toekicks are painted yet...that will happen later today or tomorrow. And don't mind that there are still 2 drawers left that need the hardware installed...that too...later today or tomorrow.
Ta-dah!!!
Before:
After:

Before:
After:

Before:
After:

We still have a lot of stuff to put away, as you can clearly tell by the coutertops, but the majority of the work is done. The color is by Behr and it's called Bitter Chocolate. I know it looks almost black in the pictures, but it's actually a dark brown, expresso-sort-of color.
So there you have it. That's what we've been up to for the past 2 weeks. Wadda-ya think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, more important than my silly kitchen cabinets, yesterday was Abby's 6 month birthday! We took her for a walk and tried to get some pictures, but she was a Crabby Abby and refused to smile for even one. But alas...here she is, my 6 month old, 13 pound 4 ounce, 24.5 inch tall, Crabby Abby...
Happy Birthday Baby Girl! We love you!
10 comments:
Oh it looks GREAT! Makes all the difference. Looks like you got all new cabinets.
Ha ha ha "Crabby Abby" - she is shockingly beautiful! Look out
Daddy!
H, J, A, A, a, a
Looks great! I love the pain choice! Looks like high quality cabinents!
I love the pictures of Abby as well! Beautiful little girl! Happy 6 months!
Very nice job on the cabinets! No small task either! Makes you feel so good to give your house a little "face lift"! Motivation for me! Abby looks adorable in her pics! Crabby or not! :)
Hey!
I thought we were coming out so Shane could re-do that kitchen?
What the?
**giggles**
It looks WONDERFUL! $200 and some elbow grease really did wonders. I am highly impressed! From the pics, it almost looks like new, dark wood cabinets!
I know (believe me) how much work went into that, and how much NOT FUN it was, but the effort was worth it--it looks really great!
Happy 6th month birthday crabby girl! You are still one beautiful baby.
WOW! I am impressed! The paint you used was it odor/vapor free paint? It really appears that you changed the kitchen cabinets out. As for Crabby Abby....she's a doll regards of having a case of the crabbies. Love the dress.
Love that crabby Abby look...hilarious! The kitchen looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
~Elyse~
It looks like a totally different kitchen. Great job!
Abby is beautiful!
I love the cabinets! that looks awsome.. do you awnt to come help strip and restain mine HA (buffalo NY in Feb i don't think so).
WOW! The kitchen looks amazing!!!!
I am so proud of you! ;)
Little miss Abby...she looks like a little doll...her sweet cheeks and beautiful eyes and don't forget about that pout!
Loving the "crabby abby." I haven't thought of one for the baby but my 8 year is "Wake up Jacob." He hates it of course.
Wowie! Your kitchen looks AWESOME! That's a huge job, and you did great! I love the dark color. I can see how that took forever, it's not easy!
Look at Abby at 6 months old! Wow, how time is flown by! I LOVE her red hair. ;)
Post a Comment