Well, Abby's Upper GI/Small Bowel Follow-thru came back clean...no blockages! This IS great news. Only now we don't have an answer as to why everything she puts in her mouth comes pouring back out. More tests will have to be done and we are now being referred to a GI Specialist. It's likely the only explanation is really bad reflux. Some sort of PH test that involves a camera going in there will probably have to be done. We are trying to manage it with Zantac, but we had to stop giving her the Reglan. I don't know if any of you Moms out there have ever given your baby Reglan, but apparently one of the side effects is irritability. Umm...irritability??? I think that may be the understatement of the year. A better description of this side effect may be:
Your baby may suffer from massive bouts of crying fits that will last upwards of 3 hours. Baby will extend her legs with locked knees, arch her back, throw her head back as though it looks like her neck will snap right in two, arms will flail about as if independent from her body, she may scream and cry until she actually runs out of tears and she will become so hoarse that she will have almost no voice left. After about 3 hours, her fit will subside, baby will sleep for 15-20 minutes, and then REPEAT the tantrum. Warning: Tantrums may last for days, even if baby stops taking medication.
Hence, we have stopped the Reglan. Hence, the a lot behind part of the title of this post. Yes, our little Abigail has been a handful WAY beyond what anyone would think a little 13 pound baby is capable of. As a result, I am behind on everything. Laundry, clean and dirty, is everywhere. Furniture hasn't been dusted. Floors haven't been cleaned. Calls haven't been returned. Mail hasn't been opened. Grocery shopping hasn't been done. Most importantly, favorite blogs haven't been visited. Ummm, ok, so maybe not most importantly, but certainly something I want and need to do. I feel just awful for not having visited so many of the blogs I follow, as well as the bloggers that follow me. Especially after the support and prayers that have been pouring into my little corner of the cyber-world. I have even recently learned that while we were in the hospital, I was given 2 awards, both of which I can't wait to post about and of course, pass along to other deserving blogs.
Her Daddy will be home tomorrow and the 3 days after that. I plan to use those 4 days to get the important stuff done. You know...pay some bills. Buy some food. Catch up with my favorite blogs. But for now, it seems as though this 20 minute break between tantrums is coming to an end. The important stuff will have to wait...at least for the next 3 hours...
14 comments:
Good grief...that description sounds horrific!! Why would they even prescribe that to a baby?! Have they considered Pyloric Stenosis, which is what Kellen had surgery for. I know it is more prevelant in boys, so often is misdiagnosed in girls. I am sure they have...but just a thought. And, the laundry can sit!!!
oh my!
I never knew Reglan would do that...it always makes me feel better! Now I will know!
GI stuff is the worst so given what Abby is going through I can only imagine how she is doing!
The pictures you posted the other day were so sweet. She is such a beautiful girl!
YUCK!! Wish we could come over and help...the flu is now running through us all!! I am sorry that Abby is in such pain! That must break your heart but then to have to go it alone for 24hours has to be tough!! Hang in there!
Diane
OH GOSH! We did Reglan but we did not have the horrible side effects. Or if they did I just did not know it was because of the meds. I am so sorry! I did not think it helped in the least anyways. It did not speed them up at all. I hope she gets better. We too have the GI appt. on Friday so we will see how that goes. I hope they can do something for mine as well, although they are not vomiting near as much.
I agree, leave the laundry! I have a pile on my couch that sits for days on end!
WOW I can't imagine. I am really glad it is not a blockage. Hopefully they can figure out something and soon. We will be praying for you!!
Jessica
SOOOO glad it isn't a blockage!!!! Maybe she is just giving you a preview into her world as a two year old....oh the joy you yet to encounter my friend. Well I hope that your consult with a GI helps. IF you need help with a recommendation I would say call your local CCFA office because they by choice deal with the BEST Pediatric GI's. I know she doesnt have Crohn's or colitis (thank God!) but seriously they would have the best to recommend. Besides I am thinking it might be a good idea for you to know the best in case she has an issue in the future with her little (big and small) intestines. Praying that you find balance again and believe it or not some of that stuff can wait your baby doesnt care if you put the clothes away. Hugs, ML
Thank goodness you got some answers.. and positive ones at that! Yeah for no blockages! That's scary stuff. Now, hopefully they can get the reflux figured out. Did you end up swtiching her formula? Did you try the soy? Did your doc suggest trying any different formulas? That would be my first line of defence and I agree with you on stopping the meds. Holy cow! I don't know how you didn't throw yourself on the floor and have your own tantrum from the lack of energy and worry for your baby. I'm sorry you're going through that! Hopefully they can get things adjusted `and she'll be the happy little Abby that you miss!
Ah, yes - the powers of Reglan - I know this all too well. Our first hand at Reglan (when Bray was 3 months) was HORRIBLE. He was a limp noodle. No interaction, stone facial expressions, almost lathargic. We quit it and started it back up at 7 months. This time it's much better, but yes he's a bit more irritable than he would be w/o it.
Also, Abby sounds like Braydon with the keeping nothing down. We found out that he had the dairy allergy, so your GI might switch you to Allimentum and/or Neocate (Which Bray takes the Neocate). Good luck with the GI - they'll get things back to normal ASAP!!!
Hang in there. Girlie girl will be well soon! Enjoy four days of having her daddy home :)
~Elyse~
My ;ittle guy did the SAME EXACT thing on that stuff. He had SEVERE colic for almost 2 entire months and to make a long story short, being on antibiotics in the NICU gave him thrush which gave him reflux. . .an upper GI and reglan. It was seriously the saddest thing I had ever seen with a baby. I feel for you x's a million right now. I cannot even remember the colic days due to all the problems because we just held him non-stop to try comfort him. I seriously hope it ends for you very soon!!! Abby is a dynamite little trooper and I'm sure she will be back to herself in no time! HUGS until then!!!! Thoughts and prayers. . .
I find it touching that YOU are worrying about US!
Don't sweat it girl--we all know what you are going through and that you are busier now than you have ever been! You just take care of that sweet little girl--and of yourself--and we'll all still be here when you find time to make your way back to the computer!
Awwwww. Worrying about us. Silly girl. *grin*
Praying for you and sending you good thoughts!
awww, poor little one. i hope abagail is feeling better very soon. and that mama is able to catch up on...life. :)
oh I am so sorry... praying for you!
britt
Post a Comment