Thursday, February 5, 2009

Home Sweet Home

We did it! Or should I say, she did it! We got sprung from the hospital last night and are thrilled to be home. 8 nights/9 days in the hospital are more than enough. It was very reminicent of my pregnant hospital bedrest days, except I was actually able to leave the room, although I didn't much.

Abby is doing very well. She has gone without Tylenol for over 24 hours now. I can't believe she isn't in tons of pain, looking at her incision and all, but she seems quite comfy. Well, except for our latest pain...diaper rash. Oh, and it's a doozy, let me tell you. We aren't surprised, seeing that her little bottom had never seen poop before. But seriously, her skin is starting to break down. Not good. We are armed with a couple of creams the hospital gave us and some Beaudreau's Butt Paste, none of which seem to be helping. We also just soaked her in some warm water with baking soda, but she hated it. We can't actually put her in the tub for another week or so. I have a call into the pedriatician to see if we can get something anti-fungal, but in the meantime, if any of you moms out there have some brilliant ideas, I'm all ears.

I must say, the love and support and prayers that have poured in have been overwhelming, to say the least. We are so thankful for our friends and family, near and far, and for the awesome bloggy-friends we have "met" along the way. You guys really do rock! Each and every one of you.

And check out this loot!



We came home from the hospital to find boxes of clothes sent by my awesome cousins H and H. Our little Abby will be dressed to the nines this summer, and I can't wait! The stuff you guys sent is adorable, so a big giant hug and thank you goes out to the CT fam. And that Build-A-Bear you all sent??? It's just too much! Abby loves it. We really can't thank you enough!

So that's it from here...for now. My 100th post is right around the corner! I guess I had better make it a good one!

I really can't wait to hear some advice from all of you awesome bloggy friends on the 'ole diaper rash, so bring 'em on!

18 comments:

Heather said...

Yay, so glad you are out of the hospital! Babies heal so fast, I know it seems like it can't be, but it is...

Hmm diaper rash... still a problem for Ava frequently. My favorite (and I think Hope's too) is Desitin. If it really doesn't go away, a yeast infection is a possibility in which case you would need a prescription ointment. Probably just diaper rash though since she's not used to pooping! Yay pooping! Just letting her lay around without a diaper (um, on a towel) is a good help too.

So glad you are all home! Love and hugs from the East. (Oh, and fun to see those clothes again - they are ready to dress Abby with love!)

Love from... the A-Team

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have a great solution! My daughter gets diaper rash where her bottom bleeds and looks horrendus and her pediatrician reccommeded Calmoseptine. You have to ask for it behind the pharmacy counter, but you do not need a script. It has menthol in it which also soothes! It has worked wonders for us and is out go-to cream for the terrible rash days! your friend, through Lexi, Hope and Heather- Sarah.

Membership Required said...

The time I had to deal with it (travis was on shot antibiotics for an ear infection...which give terrible poop.)I was given an RX strength cream which was called in to my pediatrician. It is called aquaphor (ointme/cholestyramine) and it is powerful stuff the rash was gone in no time. He was also in so much pain from it that he couldnt crawl with out it hurting so a little tylenol to dull the pain was helpful. I would highly recommend NOT using baby wipes at this time. I was told to rinse his bum off in the tub so I would say to spritz her off and use damp cloths...but the wipes will drive her crazy. Also as crazy as it sounds...give her some diaper free times.....naked baby time, messes can always be cleaned up and the fresh air will do that raw bottom some good. Well that's my advice from having severe diaper rash experience. Tiny diaper rash cream...campbell got it when we took a road trip and had to use disposable diapers....I just used the butt cream that you have...cleared it right up but for as nasty as it sounds....get the RX stuff. Hugs and Kisses....so glad you are all home! ML

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

yipee to you guys being home!! that abby is such a fighter. im so happy to hear a great report.

Holtan-Bates family said...

Three cheers!!!! Hurrray!!! I bet you are all sleeping better now. I can't help on the diaper rash because we have oddly enough never had it but I do apply A&D ointment at night before they go to bed.
So glad you are all home and can't wait to hear your first "diaper blow-out" story! :)

Alicia said...

Our pediatrician recommends A&D ointment or ready for this Maalox. Yep the stuff you drink for heartburn. We put a little on the cotton ball and then on the rash and it clears it up no problem and has a minty smell! Good luck! Glad she's home!

Machelle said...

YAY for her being home!!! As far as the diaper rash goes, Brooke got it so bad once they put her on a antibiotic creme. The Butt paste does nothing in my opinion...does not work.We use this white cream...I will have to look to see what it is called and it works wonders! I hear A&D works well as well. The aquaphor we put on Mackenzie mouth where she gets dry from the cold weather...

Beth said...

If desitin doesn't work, try some cornstarch in her diaper (a heafty amount in the tushie section). Just make sure you put it into the diaper without Abby inhaling it. That worked for us a couple of times while waiting for an rx cream.

Yay for Abby and I'm so happy you all are home!

God Bless!!!

Heather said...

Let her lay around on a towel without a diaper as much as possible. Plus, don't use wipes if possible, use damp paper towels (soft kind) or baby washcloths. Balmex also worked well, but I think they have something that you can ask the pharmacist for too that doesn't require a prescription. Good luck with that!! Glad she is home and doing well.

Devin said...

So glad you all are home!

As far as the diaper rash, I have not read what others have suggested, but 2 of my boys have suffered terribly from diaper rashes. I have used everything, and I have found that the best thing for US (and I have a feeling it may be different for everyone, depending on skin and everything) was to put a thin layer of Johnson's medicated powder (it has zinc oxide in it)--just enough to dry her bottom. Then, I would put a layer of Desitin--the regular stuff (purple) NOT the creamy. Creamy is crap, I say. :-) Then, after the desitin, I would put another layer of the powder on top, and seal the diaper. Something about that powder on top seemed to keep my boys drier, and keep the rash at bay.

Good luck with this--and don't be afraid to try lots of different things! Also, if the rash persists, there could be a possibility of it being a yeast infection, which would require a dr.'s visit and a script.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

WELCOME HOME!!!! Burt's Bees puts out a diaper rash cream that is AMAZING! Seriously. The only place I've seen it is at Target. Hope her rash clears up soon!

Anonymous said...

YAH WHOOOOO she is HOME!!!
I am so happy for you guys! How amazing is she...well and GOD!! I have no advice on the diaper rash... But sounds like you already got some wonderful advice, I just don't know how you can choice/try.
It might be awhile before we can come by...Joe has the flu...first the doctor had seen in his office...I have never seen him this sick...ever. Joey is sick too but I am really questioning just how sick he is...hasn't coughed or anything all day...but he is stuffed up. Oh well!! So I am trying to disinfect everything and making them stay in one place and not touch ANYTHING, I do NOT WANT THIS..YUK!!
Hope to see you soon...Hopefully before March...
Take care,
Diane and the gang

Kristi said...

Yay! So glad you are home!

Oh, we had horrible diaper rash after Luke got home from the hospital. We even had him on an oral med for it. Nothing helped.

Here is our solution:

1. Lots of naked baby time! Put a towel down and two pads over it, have an extra two pads next to you. Once she pees/poops switch out the pads and give her a few more minutes.
2. Buy diapers in the next size. They will be big and might leak more, but that extra air circulation makes a huge difference! (Or it did for us.)
3. A&D with zine oxide! Be generous. Do not feel obligated to use a little. Be generous!
4. Wet napkins with water for wipes. We only use baby wipes when we are out and about. Sometimes I might use a wipe initially for really sticky poop, but then use water to clean the wipe stuff off. Also you can try cotton balls with baby oil for cleaning.
5. Triple Paste might help, but for us it only worked a little while. The A&D with zinc is a life saver over here.

Hope some of that helps. That is our routine now and it works 95% of the time.

Let's plan lunch!

Kelly said...

Welcome home! What a great day... coming home. Congratulations. Your little Abby is truly a fighter and she showed them all up!

Diaper rash... I don't have any words of wisdom. You're using warm washcolths, right? Not the diapers wipes. Hopefully she'll clear up soon.

Kristi said...

I almost forgot, make sure to dry her booty after you clean it before putting on any ointment, etc. At least we found that helps us.

And, now that I have gone back and read everyone's advice, we have used warm washcloths too. Just buy about 40 so laundry is not an issue! :)

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! So glad you are home and it is going well for the most part!!!

I am not sure about the diaper rash... E has never had it, but you seem to have gotten some good ideas already!!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

So GLAD she is home and doing so well!!! I will never forget the day we all met, how we met, or everything we each went through, and to see you know with your lil precious pumpkin makes me so happy for you and your family. ;) I hope we meet up soon for a playdate.

~Sophia & Noah's Mommy~ said...

the above comment was from Gekas Twinkies. I dont know why it showed anonymous. Weird.