Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Kangaroo Care with Mommy and Daddy

We held our baby! Daddy let me go first. Abigail was crying when they handed her to me and as soon as she put her head on my chest, it was like the whole world just stopped. She fell quietly asleep and for the first time in what seems like an eternity, my world was perfectly complete. Every ounce of pain I was feeling was gone. The heartache and frustrations of the last 6 months vanished. It was the first time Abigail had ever been cuddled and she fell fast asleep in my arms, as though she'd been there a thousand times before.



Here's Daddy holding her too. Fatherhood suits him to a tee. He even changed his first diaper the other night.



Auntie Erin asked me how tiny her diapers are. I brought one home for our scrapbook. Here is it next to my cellphone, just to give you an idea of it's size. Not sure if the picture really does it justice or not, but...you get the idea.



We are heading back over to the hospital soon, but the update we got this morning was all good. Her central line was removed last night and replaced with a pick line. It looks much better and will be better for the long term to keep her fed and healthy. It looks more like an IV and looks much less invasive than that central line that was going into her neck. She is also being wiened off of the cannula. She is down to a half-liter and if she does well today she could be completely done with it. Yay for strong, healthy lungs! We are so proud of her progress. She keeps surprising everyone with her strength and determination. More updates soon...thank you all for your continued prayers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie!

Tears came to my eyes when I saw the picture of you holding Abigail! We are so happy for you...although we are far away we have you all close in our hearts! We continue to pray for strength and health for all of you and we love to see and hear the baby Abigail updates! :)

lots of love,
Hope, Justin and Ella

Membership Required said...

What a beautiful sight. My bff with her sweet girl. I am just bawling. Post more post more!!!! I am so happy for your little family and my heart is singing praises that the Lord is blessing you all with Abigail thriving!!!! Hope to talk live soon.
Hugs!!! ML

Anonymous said...

Oh that was such a perfect picture of you and Abigail, she just knew that it was her mommy holding her. Hope to see more updates of how she is doing. Know the lord is watching over your little family. As always with love & prayers.
Mary Helen

Homegrown Tribe said...

What wonderful news! Praying for a short nicu stay!

Brittany

Anonymous said...

oh I am crying too. I love kangaroo time with the babies it is the best thing in the hole world and you described it so beautifully how you said the whole world stops. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Truly, I feel like we have all been given a taste of the power of prayer and love. You all look so peaceful and seeu!ing you as a mommy is amazing! I can't wait until I can come meet her. We love you!