Thursday, October 2, 2008

Update...

Abigail had to have a blood transfusion yesterday. Everything is ok, she just isn't making red blood cells fast enough. She was looking really pale, but now that she got the blood her color has come back and she looks so much better. Once again we heard the infamous "it's a preemie thing". She has an IV back in her again but just for a couple of days. I think it may have been more painful for me to see her with that darn IV in her arm than it was for her to get it put in there. She is so tough and such a fighter and I don't know how she does it. They are all such fighters, those NICU babies. And it makes me so sad that they have to be there.

Brian has a theory. It's that all babies should get a fair shake and come out healthy. Let the parents screw them up later, but geez, give 'em a break to start.

I don't know. I thought it was a good theory.

On a happier note, yesterday the developmental therapist told us, and I quote, "She is the poster child for bottle feeding". And yes, when she said "she", she was referring to Abigail. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but what else is a proud Mommy to do? Let something THAT big go unmentioned??? We are SO proud of her I cannot even put it into words. She is getting a bottle every third meal now. Today she hit the magical 1500 grams (3lbs 5oz), so they have begun to wean her off of the heat in her condo. She's almost ready for an open crib!

Well, they have told us we better start getting ready because "she will be home before you know it." Again "she" = Abigail. Anyone know when "before you know it" actually is? 'Cause I sure don't and I couldn't find anyone in the NICU that did either. Nonetheless, just in case it's soon, I took the mandatory CPR class today. And I called the pediatrician we want to use to make sure she is taking new patients. And I daydreamed about putting the nursery together...

3 comments:

Membership Required said...

what a big girl...3.5lbs...way to go Abigail!!! My bet is that she will be home between halloween and thanksgiving. Don't forget to get your flu shot mommy and daddy, very important for parents. Talk live soon? Hope so. hugs, ML

Alexis said...

Wow! Abigail is such a fighter! I'm so glad she's continuing to show us who's boss! My theory is...she's building this strength now so she can go out and do amazing things throughout her life. She already is, with her healthy appetite and resiliency! She's lucky to have such wonderful parents, too.
Much love from Connecticut -
Lexi

Beth said...

I am so happy Abigail is doing so well. She truly is a fighter and I love reading about her progress and seeing her super adorable face with each new picture. I so look forward to reading about her homecoming in the near future:)